• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

How to cut this metal panel in half?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Panel.JPG

I need to cut this panel in half. I have a jigsaw, skilsaw, sawzall, and a angle grinder. All with metal cutting blades/disks. Which one would you use?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
View attachment 14410

I need to cut this panel in half. I have a jigsaw, skilsaw, sawzall, and a angle grinder. All with metal cutting blades/disks. Which one would you use?

Draw a center line on the panel then place a board across the panel far enough away from your center line so a thin metal blade in your angle grinder will follow said line with the grinder body butt up against the board as a guide. Clamp the board both ends.

Note; work with the edges facing down, due to the spin of the blade you should make the cut in reverse meaning you pull the angle grinder back towards you for a clean cut. Likely take a little filing to clean up. the burrs. Take your time and don't rush the job.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Air nibbler (but that material is about max thickness)

Followed by plasma cutter, then jig saw (not the nice one, the one you’d let your wife use) then reciprocating saw, then any grinder

And here is what won’t work because of throat width problems (ask me how I know ) ; Milwaukee m28 portaband and the 4x6 bandsaw in vertical mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
To cut the steel siding for my shed, I clamped a piece of 1/2" plywood along the cut line and just run the cutoff wheel against the board, it worked well and it will give you a cut line as straight as the plywood.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
To cut the steel siding for my shed, I clamped a piece of 1/2" plywood along the cut line and just run the cutoff wheel against the board, it worked well and it will give you a cut line as straight as the plywood.

This is a 2' long cut. How wide was the siding?

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Bust out the angle grinder and 1x.
Clamp that down at each end and go to town.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I would go the angle grinder and guide route. Skil saw another method i have seen recommended but never tried it.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Well you personally have 4 tools to choose from and a few suggestions of others....I vote that you cut 6" with each of your 4 tools and tell us what you liked best!

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I cut a panel like that with a skilsaw and a carbide blade. Went through like butter and didn't hurt the blade. Wear face protection.