• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

How many COMPLETE sets of Allen wrenches do you have?

Yup! My dedicated tool tote strategy was one of the best ideas I ever had. Who says you can't have eleven 1/2" combo ratchet wrenches? This isnt exactly what I have but the Swivel Head is prolly what I would get if I had to do it over.

View attachment 87952

I have pretty full sets of Gearwrenches in both SAE and metric, including the swivel heads. You may think you want them, and might actually occasionally need them, but I use mine less than one might expect, because they're a bit sloppy i.e. they don't always stay at the angle you want them to. So file under "good to have, but less useful than you wish".
 
I have pretty full sets of Gearwrenches in both SAE and metric, including the swivel heads. You may think you want them, and might actually occasionally need them, but I use mine less than one might expect, because they're a bit sloppy i.e. they don't always stay at the angle you want them to. So file under "good to have, but less useful than you wish".

I use the ratchet wrenches A LOT. Actually more often than standard combination wrenches. So no worries there.

What I do worry about is just how useful the Swivel Head version would be... I don't have any at the moment so I can't really say.

I suspect that Swivel feature might not be as useful as it appears.
 
To be clear, my comments were only about the swivel heads. I couldn't live without the Gearwrenches, particularly when working on cars.

Ya, I misunderstood. Thanks for clearing that up. I may buy one or two just to try them. But I like what I have so I won't go crazy.
 
I use the ratchet wrenches A LOT. Actually more often than standard combination wrenches. So no worries there.

What I do worry about is just how useful the Swivel Head version would be... I don't have any at the moment so I can't really say.

I suspect that Swivel feature might not be as useful as it appears.
They're no different than swivel head ratchets, my least favourite ratchet to use

I don't use ratchet wrenches often, but it's nice having them. A lot of what I do I'm either using a ratchet or impact, and a combination wrench
 
Ratchet wrench - for when it's easy to turn and your impact wrench is too big.

They're like the middle child of the wrench family.😉
Somebody needs to explain to me why they make four lengths of wrenches. I get the stubby's, do we really need a size between them and normal length? Then the extra long just seem silly
 
Somebody needs to explain to me why they make four lengths of wrenches. I get the stubby's, do we really need a size between them and normal length? Then the extra long just seem silly

This is sooooo easy to explain.....

Basically, 99% of the population is smaller than you are. Tiny people like my bride need extra extra extra long. And the only reason they make shorty wrenches is to fit in small spaces.

They should really be sized like gloves.

Ps - I'm mostly just having fun but with a serious twist.
 
Back
Top