• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

How estimate rate of Argon gas consumption when TIG welding?

JimGnitecki

I am a newbie, just learning how to TIG weld (Yes, I know that most people try to learn an easier form of welding first, but I want to do mainly aluminum and stainless steel, so went straight to TIG.

In my guided training, I am currently welding 3/16" thick 3" x 6" aluminum 5000 series coupons, and am surprised at how quickly the pressure gage on the Argon tank has fallen from 2000 psi to 900 psi. I'd like to be able to predict my usage at least roughly and plan for my cylinder refills.

My tank is an 80 cu ft size. And apprently, once the tank hits 500 psi, it's time to refill it since the psi is then too low to create a fully reliable consistent flow rate. So, I guess the actual usable capacity is (2000-500) / 2000 x 80 = 60 cubic feet.

Usage is measured as CFH, and my current welding requires about a 15 CFH delivery rate. So, the IMPLICATION is that my tank will last for 60 / 15 = 4 hours = 240 minutes of ACTUAL WELDING time.

When running a 5/16" wide bead in 3/16" thick 5000 series aluminum coupons, what is the LIKELY speed in inches of weld bead per minute, when you are doing things correctly?

IF everything I wrote above is correct, then once I have that inches/minute speed, I can figure out how many inches of bead I can run with my remaining Argon. :)

Jim G

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
The only way to know is to time yourself, weld one of your coupons with the timer going on your phone

No one can say how fast you weld, TIG is very operator heavy, and as a beginner you most likely weld much slower than a production welder, or even an experienced amateur

I'm with @phaxtris on this. My first tank OMG went so quick for so little welding even though my flow rates haven't changed. Still on my second tank and I've weld a lot more closer to 3 times and I'm still about 700psi.

So as to your usage, give it a couple of bottles till you get comfortable and settle down, your welding speed picks up so you use less gas.

As to that 500psi rule, for Scuba yes, it is the reserve air for the rescue you never hope happens, but for welding (you are not welding mission critical and are just trying to get weld time) use all your gas considering the cost.

Second, think how much are comes out a small compressor tank, it's less than 120psi and flows out at a faster rate than we we use welding so run it down.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
ive never heard the 500psi for welding tanks, lots of guys say 200psi, but really, you can use them until you start seeing a drop in the secondary gauge....thats quite often how you know your oxygen is running out on an oxy/act rig....at wich point your bottle pressure is below 60psi

you only really need to leave enough gas pressure in there to keep moisture out of the tank

im with @Degen, gas is not free, use it all up, your not getting a discount bringing a bottle back with 500 psi

personally for me they go back between 100-300psi in the tank, ill keep an eye on when i have time, if i have the time i will bring the bottle in anywhere in that range to avoid running out in the middle of something...or running out when i dont have the time to bring the tank to get filled

you are already at pretty much the minimum gas flow so there is nothing to be saved there, the only other place you will see a savings is in your pre/post flow

JimGnitecki

In my first posting on this thread, I calculated that I should conservatively have 240 minutes of actual welding (actual bead laying) time, or more if I can keep using the Argon gas cylinder once it drops below 500 psi.

Having Googled TIG welding speed, which is slow compared to, for example MIG welding speed, I have found that most professional sources say TIG bead is typically laid at between 5 and 10 inches per minute when high quality TIG welding is being done by an experienced professional human (not an automated welder). However, it is apparently common for newbies to run at slower speeds due to their inexperience and gas-flow time used in first detecting, then diagnosing, and finally correcting technique or setup errors, while the gas keeps flowing.

But, taking the 5 to 10 inches per minute rate, and the previously calculated 240 minutes of conservative total gas flow time in the tank, 240 minutes would result in:
1200 to 2400 inches of weld bead = 100 to 200 feet of weld bead.

I estimated that I have welded (very roughly) 400 inches of (mostly not good) bead and have consumed roughly 1000 psi of cylinder gas. That projects to about 600 inches of weld bead by the time I hit 500 psi in the cylinder. So, I am half as fast as the 5 inches/minute (the bottom end of what a pro welder does), SO:

- I will likely run out of gas as early as 200 inches of bead or 80 more minutes of actual welding from now (It's good to be able to at least project when I will need to make a run to the welding supplies store)

- I have a LONG way to go in learning to lay down high quality TIG weld bead without overheating or otherwise screwing up the bead, and doing it at a reasonable speed. :)

Jim G

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
5 to 10 inches per second

I'm assuming that is a typo?

Your going to find once you start welding larger and thicker weldments your numbers may go out the window, the 5-10ipm is assuming you have enough amperage, with aluminum it doesn't take long to reach the limits of ~200a, and then you start slowing wayyyyy down

Last edited:

JimGnitecki

I'm assuming that is a typo?

Your going to find once you start welding larger and thicker weldments your numbers may go out the window, the 5-10ipm is assuming you have enough amperage, with aluminum it doesn't take long to reach the limits of ~200a, and then you start slowing wayyyyy down
Yes, I just corrected the seconds to minutes! Thanks!

Last edited:

JimGnitecki

. . . Your going to find once you start welding larger and thicker weldments your numbers may go out the window, the 5-10ipm is assuming you have enough amperage, with aluminum it doesn't take long to reach the limits of ~200a, and then you start slowing wayyyyy down
Actually, I am anticipating welding primarily .06" to 0.25" aluminum, and .06" to .125" stainless steel. I am finding in my training lessons that with the .19" aluminum coupons I am using, I START the pool at 150 amps but quickly have to throttle down to prevent overheating the material, so I am thinking the 200 amp TIG welder will be more than adequate for my needs. :)

Jim G

Proxule

Ultra Member
Actually, I am anticipating welding primarily .06" to 0.25" aluminum, and .06" to .125" stainless steel. I am finding in my training lessons that with the .19" aluminum coupons I am using, I START the pool at 150 amps but quickly have to throttle down to prevent overheating the material, so I am thinking the 200 amp TIG welder will be more than adequate for my needs. :)

Jim G
Wait until you start pulsing, and add helium to your argon. The world will open its arms to you Jim!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Don't worry, they day will come where a friend/buddy/relative wants you to repair something borderline for the machine

JimGnitecki

Wait until you start pulsing, and add helium to your argon. The world will open its arms to you Jim!
One thing I really like about pure Argon is that it is 38% heavier than air, so ventilating it entirely would just require opening my garage car door. And actually, at 15 CFH usage, there will never be enough of it to pose any asphyxiation danger to me. It's also non-reactive.

The Argon - Helium mix makes a hotter plasma? Or, what advantage over pure Argon?

Jim G

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
I am a newbie, just learning how to TIG weld (Yes, I know that most people try to learn an easier form of welding first, but I want to do mainly aluminum and stainless steel, so went straight to TIG.

In my guided training, I am currently welding 3/16" thick 3" x 6" aluminum 5000 series coupons, and am surprised at how quickly the pressure gage on the Argon tank has fallen from 2000 psi to 900 psi. I'd like to be able to predict my usage at least roughly and plan for my cylinder refills.

My tank is an 80 cu ft size. And apprently, once the tank hits 500 psi, it's time to refill it since the psi is then too low to create a fully reliable consistent flow rate. So, I guess the actual usable capacity is (2000-500) / 2000 x 80 = 60 cubic feet.

Usage is measured as CFH, and my current welding requires about a 15 CFH delivery rate. So, the IMPLICATION is that my tank will last for 60 / 15 = 4 hours = 240 minutes of ACTUAL WELDING time.

When running a 5/16" wide bead in 3/16" thick 5000 series aluminum coupons, what is the LIKELY speed in inches of weld bead per minute, when you are doing things correctly?

IF everything I wrote above is correct, then once I have that inches/minute speed, I can figure out how many inches of bead I can run with my remaining Argon. :)

1. It is recommended that you check whether there is a leak between your gas cylinder and the welding gun! High probability of leakage!

2. Check whether your gas flow rate is very high and obviously hear the sound of gas.

Last edited by a moderator: