• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

How do I remove the lower bearing?

skippyelwell

These are the 2 bearings for the spindle of a 15" Buffalo drill press, the first bearing removal was easy, as was the spacer, but the lower bearing has me stumped.
I don't know of a tool that will work in that narrow a space, unless I can think of another way I'm going to have to drill 2 holes on the top of the pulley to get down to the bearing race so I can tap it out that way. I hate to drill into it but ....
I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• DSC00396.JPG
    DSC00396.JPG
    309.5 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00397.JPG
    DSC00397.JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00398.JPG
    DSC00398.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00399.JPG
    DSC00399.JPG
    281 KB · Views: 14
Have you tried banging the pulley bearing shaft down onto a piece of wood? Just a short piece of 2x4 that fits inside the pulley. The weight of the bearing and the shock may be enough to at least move it up the shaft far enough to get a grab on it. You could use a piece of rod or dowel drilled into the wood as guide to slide the pulley down so you hit the wood consistently.
If the bearing is shot anyway, pull the seal out and separate the outer race and balls then you can grab the inner race with vise grips( gently) and should be able to wiggle it out. Or you then may have room to get in with a small pry bar on the inner race and pry it up.
All theory on my part but it's worth a shot. Good luck.

Drilling - last resort.
Heat.
Lots of heat - since you don’t care about the bearing anymore - heat won’t hurt.

You'll never truly fit in around here if you keep doing things that way. LOL:D:D

Good to hear you had success.
..... exactly.....damn amateur, doesn't even sound like he broke anything. :rolleyes:
Well done by the way, just goes to show that there's more than one way to skin a cat...... Even if you did take the easy route. :p

Back