• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hot from the sandbox

Oldarm

John
A quick update to those who may have an interest in such matters. A trio of Vulcan "V" bombers in three scales. These are essentially pretty well as cast and are ready for a bit/lot of bench work to convert them into master patterns. Maybe about 20 sweaty hours ahead of me. A big problem right now is that the pool is looking pretty enticing and the grass needs trimming but so does my hair after 15 months penance! At least when I crank up "The Who" I am back where I was!
1.JPG 2.JPG 1.JPG 2.JPG
The other photo attached is of the largest of a trio of new bases which I am working on. You will probably relate to the feeling of never being perfectly happy with anything you dream up and often get that "I could have done better" feeling. Interestingly, first time around, I am perfectly happy with just about every aspect of these fellows. Just a little filleting and blending and away we go. Why is it so late in the day that we get to be so comfy and confident in our craft?
Just pondering.....
John

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Oldarm : Hey John, I have a box of aluminum brackets from some sort of tower installation. A buddy dropped them off to see if I had a use for them. Looks like good quality aluminum. I removed all the stainless assembly screws - you interested in the box to melt down for your castings? I am not at home now but might be able to get a lad at home to send me a pic.

I 'also have a few sets of brake rotors if anyone Ontario ish is a cast iron caster?

Oldarm

John
@Oldarm : Hey John, I have a box of aluminum brackets from some sort of tower installation. A buddy dropped them off to see if I had a use for them. Looks like good quality aluminum. I removed all the stainless assembly screws - you interested in the box to melt down for your castings? I am not at home now but might be able to get a lad at home to send me a pic.

I 'also have a few sets of brake rotors if anyone Ontario ish is a cast iron caster?

Good morning Brent. Thanks for the offer of the brackets. Over the years temptation has often got the better of me and I have come unstuck mixing alloys of unknown specs. It is impossible to visually analyze an aluminium casting and determine it's composition. Actually the same goes for any just about any metals and alloys you come across. Even cast iron comes in many shades of grey! Each to it's purpose.

Our imagination has been frequently stretched by the media. A good example which springs to mind can be found in the film, "The World's Fastest Indian" There is a sequence where Bert casts a replacement piston in his shed for his old Indian motorcycle prior to attempting a world record attempt. Piece of cake! Trust me, even on a relatively low revving motor, this piston is doomed. And this is coming from somebody who has flown by the seat of his pants for many, many years!
Actually, the film is pretty good and I can only encourage you to watch it.

Cheers from a steamy Ontario,
John

Tom O

Ultra Member
One of my favourite films I love his offering to the Gods of speed shelf of broken bits.
And don’t forget to pee on the lemon tree!

Brent H

Ultra Member
Yes, it is a great movie - watched it a couple times since it has come out! Anything Anthony Hopkins is in I always wait for Jodie Foster to pop out with a bottle of Chianti and some fava beans - LOL - All kidding aside - Great Movie

Oldarm

John
One of my favourite films I love his offering to the Gods of speed shelf of broken bits.
And don’t forget to pee on the lemon tree!

Lovely reply! I think everybody on this site can relate to the enthusiasm, initiative, skill set, determination and the dry humour Bert displays in the film. Throw in a throaty V twin and how can you lose?
Not wanting to turn this into a film review blog, but I am planning a four hour session tonight with Lawrence of Arabia. Maybe subliminal V twin thing going on with his Brough!
John

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm working on MyFord Boy's waste oil burning furnace. It will probably take me an age to get it finished but I'm already accepting contributions of waste oil and junk cast iron.

We get lots of waste oil on the farm, have a 300 gallon tank we store it in. Pain to get rid of, one guy we give it to has a waste oil heater in his shop.

Oldarm

John
We get lots of waste oil on the farm, have a 300 gallon tank we store it in. Pain to get rid of, one guy we give it to has a waste oil heater in his shop.

That sounds like a sensible solution. How "waste" is the oil? Viscosity etc. I remember watching an episode of "Top Gear" some years ago where they ran an old diesel Mercedes throughout the UK filling it up on waste oil from fish and chip shops. Not too sure on the legality of such a venture but I hate to hear of wasted energy.
John

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Hey don’t let lac of furnace stop you, I’ve found great pleasure in using a typical campfire, it’s hot enough.