• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Home made punches from coil spring

Tips/Techniques

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Finally got around to finishing these

I started off with some coil spring from the Wifes old equinox I scrapped last year.
d1O4vln.jpg

Got them straightened out, then hot cut them in half.
uKgWUZ8.jpg
WwghrOt.jpg

From there it was simply forging the business ends to the shape I wanted.
h33aFsR.jpg
fJqxpIC.jpg 9IZwQwP.jpg
cO4zUgq.jpg

Then I spun them around and forged a taper on the struck end.
DMeVIgu.jpg

Learned that 4 irons, was in fact to much to have in one fire.....But I got through it, just no time to snap pics of that part. Here they are after forging.
RYZwOOC.jpg

Then I heated them up, and normalized them on the forge before acclimatizing them on the welding bench for a couple weeks........

This morning I finished grinding them using a 4.5" angle grinder with 1/4" hard disc, m12 angle die grinder with 80grit roloc, and finished on a convolute wheel on the bench grinder. I really need a 2x72 belt grinder........

From L-R. A round punch, a ball punch, A hot chisel/fan chisel, A slot punch.
GB2CHkw.jpg

4VCHPY6.jpg

They're not perfect, I made a few mistakes along the way being it's my first time, but I think they'll live a long serviceable life for me. Still need to harden and temper them, will do that the next time I light the forge, or I might just torch harden the business ends.

Pretty fun being able to make your own tools. Only 8037 more tools to go.