Holiday shop projects?

I have at least 2 projects I'll be working on thru the holidays. One is to restore my new to me rotary table, the other is to restore my set of Mitutoyo micrometers. Both the box and the micrometers that is. These days I'm never in a hurry tho so these projects may continue for some time. Especially since I prefer to do my painting in the summer!

zitmicset.JPG

ztable10.JPG

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I don't get any more days than the holidays off, so I'll just be continuing with my blades. I need to stay focused on finishing my set of steak knives. I have every blade finished, and most handles bonded to the tang, only I keep moving to other projects instead of shaping and sanding the handles, to complete the set.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Inflation added to everything including home heating gas has forced me to shut my shop heat off so no shop "inventions" till spring.

The day I pulled the plug on the shop heater I sat in my basement fantasizing about rigging up a "temporary" shop down there....two things dashed that experience from happening ....I know what kind of confusion & mess I can create in very short order in my outside shop and SWAMBO has her working office down there....and very big mess & SWAMBO are not even remotely compatible.
After thinking about it I have nothing but admiration for you boys that do the "basement shop" thing.
never cross a lady that feeds you well

and one that shoots faster than you can ;)

Despite getting Covid for Christmas on top of other underlying health issues I'm struggling with I did manage some significant progress with my two holiday projects.

The rotary table was completely disassembled, degreased and derusted. The table had been frozen and would not rotate when I started. A significant amount of rust was found inside but I think it is entirely salvageable and will work fine when I relube and reassemble. I even managed to get in a few coats of paint but am unhappy with the paint result. It's supposed to be a "hammered" look paint but the effect doesn't show well IMO. I think I will wait till summer to get a different shade and then I will try again and bake the paint at the same time. Also will have to make a new machine label!

With the micrometer box all the hardware was removed and the whole box was degrimed with dish washing soap on a wet rag. Remnant bits of ribbon around the micrometer slots were removed with a small sandpaper drum on a dremel tool. The micrometer thimbles were removed and the knurled parts boiled in a water vinegar solution and then scrubbed with scotch brite and dishwashing soap. The micrometer frames were also degrimed with dishwashing soap on a wet rag. One locking mechanism was found to be not working. That was easily fixed with a minor adjustment. One thimble was found to be frozen. That was remedied by soaking in a light oil overnight. After cleaning and relubing the micrometers seem to all work very well. The set is missing the 7-8 inch micrometer and I would like to replace one of the others. I will be watching the used tool offerings for those while I wait for the summer painting season.

base innards.JPG

DSC_0095 (2).JPG
DSC_0096 (2).JPG
DSC_0097 (2).JPG