• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hoglet V twin

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The carb is an RC carb as well I bought it on Amazon sorry I can’t remember the details but I believe it has a .250 bore larger ones were available when I was looking.
Just as an aside, be aware that some RC carbs use seals, O-rings etc. that were intended for methanol based fuel & don't do well in gasoline environment if that's what you are running. This includes silicon fuel line too. I hope you get the ignition figured out, it looks like a great build.

Ken Mach

You have to watch out for magnet polarity as in the sensor is only sensitive to either North or South. The side of the sensor is also critical for best operation.
This is how mine is mounted inside the 3D printed holder with the pull up resistor and LED to show activation. I filled that with void epoxy to keep the wires in the right place.
View attachment 26697
Here is the sensor tripping as the magnet rotates around.
View attachment 26696
And you can see here there is plenty of space to the sensor and the magnet is not that big.
View attachment 26695
I believe the one I'm using is the
Item 99K3101, 1/4" × 1/10" Rare-Earth Magnet
I realized the polarity of the magnet was important but I will try both sides of the hall sensor and see if that makes a difference. Thanks

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just as an aside, be aware that some RC carbs use seals, O-rings etc. that were intended for methanol based fuel & don't do well in gasoline environment if that's what you are running.

Don't you mean the opposite Peter? I'm not familiar with fueled R/C stuff, just battery powered. But I am familiar with vehicle fuel systems. In the automotive world, gaskets, seals, hoses, and o-rings for alcohol fuels can easily handle gasoline, but these same components designed for straight gasoline cannot handle gasoline alcohol blends or neat alcohol fuels. Because of the widespread usage of alcohol fuels today, almost all fuel systems have been upgraded to be compatible with some alcohol in the fuel.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm.... I'm not familiar with the auto world but it has been a guideline in RC since forever. Silicone lines for methanol based fuel. Tygon? or other compounds for gasoline. I don't run gasoline so don't have much experience there. Most RC methanol fuel also contains nitromethane, % can vary from 0-+45%, maybe a factor? Oil can be castor/synthetic/blend of both. My own experience is some of the methanol O-rings & seals can will swell in the presence of other solvents & others seem perfectly OK. Same goes for regulator (sheet type) materials. Not sure really now that I ponder it.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-09-21 10.40.19 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-09-21 10.40.19 PM.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAG-2022-09-21 10.44.59 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-09-21 10.44.59 PM.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAG-2022-09-21 10.58.01 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-09-21 10.58.01 PM.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 4

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hmm.... I'm not familiar with the auto world but it has been a guideline in RC since forever. Silicone lines for methanol based fuel. Tygon? or other compounds for gasoline. I don't run gasoline so don't have much experience there. Most RC methanol fuel also contains nitromethane, % can vary from 0-+45%, maybe a factor? Oil can be castor/synthetic/blend of both. My own experience is some of the methanol O-rings & seals can will swell in the presence of other solvents & others seem perfectly OK. Same goes for regulator (sheet type) materials. Not sure really now that I ponder it.

Weird Peter. I had thought maybe you just accidentally reversed them. But since that is what you intended, I don't know either. I have no experience with fueled R/C Stuff.

In cars, the smaller alcohol molecule can damage the plastic and rubber compounds by leaching them. It acts like a solvent. As a result, the hoses/gaskets/tubes/o-rings can become either brittle and crack or soft and mushy. The leached materials from the tubes and gaskets can also plug downstream fuel system components. A fuel system leak is a dangerous event.

Reading the snags you attached, I note that they don't really say that the parts can not be used interchangeably at the high end but not at the low end. Only that one is for gasoline and the other for lighter fuels. I could easily imagine they just prefer to play it safe and not say anything about the downward compatibility of the components for light fuels.

Yes, the nitro content might be a factor.

Who knows. The coincidence is just odd. No biggie though.