• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hi heat cement

JuanH

Can I use these kind of cement for my melting furnace? I’m planning to use it as a coating on the k wool

Attachments

• DF39EECE-BB98-44D7-8DC8-B1A8EFD06BCC.png
    DF39EECE-BB98-44D7-8DC8-B1A8EFD06BCC.png
    1 MB · Views: 10

Proxule

Ultra Member
Can I use these kind of cement for my melting furnace? I’m planning to use it as a coating on the k wool
Normally they use a product called ITC100 for K whool and ceramic fiber blankets.....
I have some ITC 100 left over from a build I did, This is the real deal - Wasn't cheap, But it will be the best in terms of refractory properties and keeping your K whool rigidized
I bough it from https://www.princessauto.com/en/itc-100ht-ceramic-coating/product/PA0008927550
I have 2x pint jars - If you're interested, let me know!
I am sure we can strike and VERY FAIR deal - ( id rather see it go to use then to the garbage )

Gluck

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I used this castable refractory cement from amazon a while back.... https://www.amazon.ca/Rutland-Castable-Refractory-Cement-12-5-Pound/dp/B000H5T5EA

I applied it on top of the K-wool and then I used the ITC100 on top of that. Made a good liner. I procured my ITC100 from Princess auto as well. They recommend spraying it...... I tried and nearly destroyed a wagner paint sprayer (they ask for a stippling sprayer). I ended up brushing the ITC100 on.

I has a second project that needed a liner and for that I forwent the cement and just used standard refractory + ITC100. I find the cements are not economical by volume....

Proxule

Ultra Member
I used this castable refractory cement from amazon a while back.... https://www.amazon.ca/Rutland-Castable-Refractory-Cement-12-5-Pound/dp/B000H5T5EA

I applied it on top of the K-wool and then I used the ITC100 on top of that. Made a good liner. I procured my ITC100 from Princess auto as well. They recommend spraying it...... I tried and nearly destroyed a wagner paint sprayer (they ask for a stippling sprayer). I ended up brushing the ITC100 on.

I has a second project that needed a liner and for that I forwent the cement and just used standard refractory + ITC100. I find the cements are not economical by volume....

I would not recommend you spray it, Not possible to thin it enough.
Just thin is 2:1 and brush it on, More water means thinner, And will eventually evaporate.
For most projects - cermaic whool and ITC 100 is more then enough.

Gluck

JuanH

I’m interested on your itc for sure. I went and bought that cement from Canadian tire, I was planning to put cement + itc. Proxule, where are you located? I see your profile says Calgary. I live in bowness

Proxule

Ultra Member
I’m interested on your itc for sure. I went and bought that cement from Canadian tire, I was planning to put cement + itc. Proxule, where are you located? I see your profile says Calgary. I live in bowness
Oh bummer.
Well im in edm.
Im willing to ship if that helps. Or if some one is heading down to calgary from edm?

JuanH

If somebody is heading around here, for sure I Take the weight from your shoulders, we can set a price on dm.
I will check princess in the mean time.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Princess Auto has 3 types of the ITC on their website although I think I have only seen 2 there but could have missed it.

5565871D-47E7-460C-A368-BC4E583A916E.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure this is relevant but this is the place (in Calgary) where I bought my kiln bricks from. These were just for backup while torching. But I think they sold all kinds of kiln building & repair supplies. That special cement & wool blanket rings a bell but you'd have to check, its been a while.
https://ceramicscanada.net/

Tom O

Ultra Member
When I built my furnace that’s where I got the Kaowool and ITC 100 and I put a kiln shelf in the bottom. If I remember right the ITC 100 was $100.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I liked that place. I believe I got fire clay there too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk