Hi from Medicine Hat

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi There! Joined 2 days ago, found this site looking for a small lathe. Down sizing my small machine shop to retire. I will have some machinery for sale on the site if the local vultures don't snap it up : )
Good site with lots of good info! Thanks
Kelly

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome!
I'll be interested to hear what sort of machinery a fellow that had a machine shop ends up with as hobby machines!

Don

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
What sort of projects do you have in mind? I have a 10x22 asian made lathe. Is that Standard Modern a lathe you will buy new?

Don

Kelly McLaughlin

Hi Don! I am keeping a few small items that I manufacture so I need to do some small scale threading and knurling and I make C630 valve guides so drilling and reaming, I've used the 9 x 20 before and found it to be a good durable little lathe that will stand up to small scale production work. The SM is a used one but looks in good shape, I'm off to have a look and listen next week. I've looked at lots of lathes on line in that size bracket and I like the SM My only drawback is metric threading so I have some research to do there, My out going lathe was a metric one so that was a treat compared to change gears on an Asian machine. I did mostly component restoration for Vintage Motorcycles so lots of metric stuff.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Interesting stuff. I look forward to hopefully learning some stuff from your involvement on this forum.

Don

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes I'm in Warner. I know of Reed, our parents were good friends but he wouldn't know me.

There's another machinist fellow (Dale) in the Hat that does motorcycle projects also, I suspect you would know him also. I stopped in at his shop once checking out items for sale. Is he still there?

Don

Kelly McLaughlin

Yes Dale has Dale's machine tools, he's on Kijiji. He owns the Auto Upholstery Center and has tools in the front. good selection, I believe he's going to be at the Lethbridge swap meet. Next time I'm over that way I'll try to have time to look you up. I have some friends in the area so I get there periodically.

Kelly McLaughlin

Here's a n advertising picture of the Capos I make, it's one of the things I'm still going to have.

Attachments

• PICT0015.JPG
    PICT0015.JPG
    130.6 KB · Views: 9