• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hi everyone

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I just ordered a helmet off of Amazon that had good reviews so next will be a gas bottle to do true mig. And once I feel comfortable enough the first projects will be a welding cart and welding table. Not as fancy as some of the projects I have seen on here but it will be a start I guess.

Let us know what you learn about bottles and gas. This is always tricky - last time this was discussed KMS has the best prices.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
WRT cylinders.... I've been a Praxair customer for 20+ years, and my lessons learned are: 1) get ones big enough that you aren't going back yearly and 2) get ones small enough that you can lift yourself. A lot of places will only put cylinders on the loading dock for you now--no assistance into your truck allowed. I've downsized both my Argon and StarGold (CO2/Argon mix) over the years as I aged so I can still handle them myself.

WRT to homemade carts....Pick your bottle first, then build the cart around it/them. It's dangerous to undersize your cart such that it can tip over and let the bottle(s) fall. Carts need to be stable so the bottle--even when chained in--won't tip when you bump them...which you will. Commercially made carts limit the liability by engineering the tray (base) such that an oversized bottle (they are mostly standardized sizes) can't fit in a smaller cart. But some redneck always seems to modify them after too many beers.

One last tip for carts: don't cheap out on wheels, specifically, the size. With gravel, metal parts, etc., in your shop, using too small wheels will be frustrating as the cart will hang up on every little obstruction.

Good luck. Post pics please!

When you are ready to tackle the table let us know here as well. Lots of great advice is available.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My cylinders are 110 cu ft. I feel now they are too small. Peter what size do you use? I also note last time I got a refill at kms they could only filll to 55% or something. They only charged me for that much as well. 1200psi? time before I got a fill it was to 1900 psi. I though that was low. Is 2400 psi or something a true full fill?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I used to have T's, but downsized to S's. No idea capacity; I'd have to look. An "S" stands about 50" tall (w/o regulator and gauges). A "T" weighs about 150 lbs.; an "S" about half that--76 lbs. I just swapped out my old "T" StarGold for an "S" 4 months ago. I have been using it pretty regularly and it is still about 2000 psi. I think it was 2500 or 2700 PSI when I got it. My old "T" tank it replaced I got 10 years out of. The "S" is half the weight, but now that I am retired and weld more, I'm guessing I'll get 2-3 years from it.

My tanks are all steel. In the USA I know you can get aluminum as an alternative. Don't know if this affects PSI though.

I can still wrangle the "S" size confidently, the main reason I prefer them.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Update -- found the capacities John. For StarGold C25 (Praxair 75% / 25% mix) the "T" is 385 ft^3 and "S" is 172 ft^3. Spec sheet quotes 2200 PSI for fill.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Sorry I don't have my bill anymore, and it is complicated by the exchange of the T tank for the S tank. I have two transactions around that time, and I think the exchange was $124.90.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I started with a lease from praxair many moons ago, the just bought tanks from them.... then got turned off on service (can't remember why)

Anyhow, ended up at oxypro back when they were on 42st/Ave when they were behind praxair. They got bought by linde and so I just go to oxypro in the se industrial park. Pretty good service, not sure what the cost was (not eye opening obviously )

My psi is usually between 2k and 2.2k if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Understood. We've all had our ups and downs with companies. I stayed with them because of Dave Masse--at the 42Av and Blackfoot Tr location, he has the little office tucked off to the side.

Dave has probably taught many of us welding on this forum. I too was one of his adult education students many, many decades ago. Really nice man and still there--at least the last time I went.

Interesting piece of trivia about Praxair--there were formed as a result of a court mandated spinoff/divestiture of Union Carbide after the 1984 Bhopal, India disaster. Great (well, sad) documentary on this on YouTube. But I remember also because before I retired my company outsourced a big IT contract and we brought in a bunch of people from India. A few of them had family impacted by Bhopal. Very sad.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Dave Masse yup I took oxy acet from Dave. Is he still teaching those courses? They were less than half the price of sait (shorter too) but I haven’t seen them listed for a while.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
He told me o/a interest dropped off so much they don't teach it anymore. It's kinda a niche process now--but still useful for cutting in the field.

Wally

Let us know what you learn about bottles and gas. This is always tricky - last time this was discussed KMS has the best prices.
Well, for me KMS worked best and I couldn't find a lower price on the bottle so thats how I went. Now that I have a bottle I will dig a little deeper for that next fill. Kinda of like going to KMS anyways as there's alway something else I need anyways.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Well, for me KMS worked best and I couldn't find a lower price on the bottle so thats how I went. Now that I have a bottle I will dig a little deeper for that next fill. Kinda of like going to KMS anyways as there's alway something else I need anyways.
I’ve had good luck with KMS as a rule.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Wally, your thread just keeps growing!

Anyways, just thought I would post this pic of KMS gas fills. I was there the other day and snapped this price list:

Attachments

• gas.jpg
    gas.jpg
    561.4 KB · Views: 0