• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hi everyone

Wally

Hi folks, total newbie here.
I'm a retired Inst Mech who has done woodworking for years as a hobby but now I'd like to learn some welding skills. Looking forward to gleaning the site for any and all info to help me get started. Thanks, Wally

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Wally

Welcome Wally. I don't have a welder yet either, but a TIG is on my bucket list. Some of us have taken the Sait evening course. Not cheap but ok intro.
In the meantime I practice my beads with YouTube vids LOL. There are lots out there but these ones are pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqq70AnPkj4-UApS_m_6mPw
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM0kHJXSHR1k1wtLuliKmHg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcuMSDG2svjR7BncF841GJg
Thanks Peter,
Those videos are great are there are a pile more.
I've picked up a brand new Lincoln Mig PAC 140 from a gentleman in Calgary who had bought it then never got around to using it. I now have picked up a few other supplies , helmet, gloves, hammer, brush, pliers ... etc and after a trip to grab some metal I hope to start laying down some beads with flux core. I need to find a good place to get shielding gas to do true mig and from what Ive found here already I think I have a couple of places to scout out for that bottle and gas purchase.
TIG looks like fun too and maybe something I can also try someday(when the budget allows) Really finding all the other metal working threads interesting and I am both impressed and a little intimidated by some of the projects people are working on. Very cool site.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
TIG is my personal fav, but as I have got older I find my hand isn't as steady. I'm no pro and out of position welding I still am very bad at, but with MIG I can lay down a horizontal bead I am proud of at least. Do make the extra effort to go gas. Flux core is fine outdoors, but if you have a shop or garage you'll never regret the extra expense for gas. MIG with gas is my go-to process 98% of the time. I got rid of my O/A kit a long time ago.

The MIG technique in this video is common, and makes you looks better that you might expect quickly. It can be a big confidence builder when you first start out. I hope it helps:

Assuming the helmet you bought is auto-darkening? If not, that should be your next purchase.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Wally

TIG is my personal fav, but as I have got older I find my hand isn't as steady. I'm no pro and out of position welding I still am very bad at, but with MIG I can lay down a horizontal bead I am proud of at least. Do make the extra effort to go gas. Flux core is fine outdoors, but if you have a shop or garage you'll never regret the extra expense for gas. MIG with gas is my go-to process 98% of the time. I got rid of my O/A kit a long time ago.

The MIG technique in this video is common, and makes you looks better that you might expect quickly. It can be a big confidence builder when you first start out. I hope it helps:

Assuming the helmet you bought is auto-drakening? If not, that should be your next purchase.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated
I miss quoted the bit on picking up a helmet, the fellow I bought the Lincoln off of had purchased a simple Pipeliner style helmet with fix shade (which is so dark I can hardly see anything but the puddle) and it came with the welder. I have already found it pretty tough to work with, an Auto-darkening helmet will be the next purchase and mig gas will be done at the same time. Still, having fun learning to lay down some beads and in a day or so I'll start practicing various joints.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated
I have already found it pretty tough to work with, an Auto-darkening helmet will be the next purchase and mig gas will be done at the same time. Still, having fun learning to lay down some beads and in a day or so I'll start practicing various joints.

Auto-darkening is a must. 100% improvement, even on the cheaper helmets. If you want to try one contact me. I'm in the NW and you're welcome to run some beads in my shop to see the difference and see what gas is like too.

Wally

Hey, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that at some point. For now, yea, helmet and gas on on the list. Spent a few hours today wiring up a dedicated 20 amp/120 volt plug for it and then did a few beads till I realized I couldnt really see anything, LOL. I will say this much, those videos make laying down a simple straight bead look so easy ... mine are not so straight or clean

Everett

Super User
Hello Wally! My Dad is a retired Instrument Mechanic as well. While my welding is adequate but mediocre, there are some on here who are very good welders.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Welcome, flux core is good but it requires patience. In my opinion, if you can use flux core well, you are well on your way technique wise in all types of welding.

Wally

Welcome, flux core is good but it requires patience. In my opinion, if you can use flux core well, you are well on your way technique wise in all types of welding.
Good to know.
Been practicing this morning by just trying to lay down clean, straight beads and while still long way from good, I feeling better about them and I find I'm seeing the puddle better and just feeling more comfortable. Still going to go get an Auto-Darkening helmet real soon.

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
i have a $30 helmet, im not a welder and find no value in replacing batteries that are not cheap when i do not use my machine daily. I cut a small slot in the shaded lens, 1/4” or so along the top to make a viewing window. I find it much better but that is strictly a me thing. We Look forward to future project postings

Wally

i have a $30 helmet, im not a welder and find no value in replacing batteries that are not cheap when i do not use my machine daily. I cut a small slot in the shaded lens, 1/4” or so along the top to make a viewing window. I find it much better but that is strictly a me thing. We Look forward to future project postings
I just ordered a helmet off of Amazon that had good reviews so next will be a gas bottle to do true mig. And once I feel comfortable enough the first projects will be a welding cart and welding table. Not as fancy as some of the projects I have seen on here but it will be a start I guess.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor

Mike holy crap. You’re scaring the crap out of me here. Kms had a pile of auto darkening helmet for $70 ish. They are solar powered so no batteries and you can adjust the darkness and sensitivity with the dials. Best investment in welding one can make. I’m tempted to start a pool and the forum can buy you one.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I'll put in 5 bucks. I've had welding flash bad from cheap helmets, nothing worse

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk