• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hi all

EricB

Hey, I'm Eric from Edmonton. 3rd year machinist & 1st year Millwright. In my own time I love metal fab, I do some TIG and MIG welding and occasionally stick. I also was a bicycle mechanic for a long time and still do that a bit as well as turning wrenches on some small engine stuff and motorcycles.

At the moment I don't have my own machines yet, but I've been renovating my garage to turn it into a fab shop. For now I go into work on my own time when I need to machine something, or to my mom's when I need to weld [emoji14]

Here are photos of a few projects I've done:

Made the coffee tamper on the right for my buddy while fooling around in school. The one on the left is his Reg Barber

3ac643cb68c21b31f2ced16e7e9eaa8c.jpg

Made the tube/clamp for my bike repair stand. First is welding it, second is after powder-coat. Arrow points to what I machined/welded.

f445748027ccc65d9bcb3abb8788fcd7.jpg

5435bd797c9c5a3337f8bf51d42b4c05.jpg

Was bored at work, so made myself a hammer with replaceable soft faces.

3718db540380f777f0ddbf644dfc6fe1.jpg

10501802_10153441939209581_2138555416661399194_n.jpg

Most recently made a part for my dad's antique clock. Just the drum, not the steel rod or the toothed part. I'll show process pictures later if anyone's interested.

29b417bd65f753d6d2246b0987e55cef.jpg

Anyways, I look forward to getting to know some of you and learning some stuff!

Cheers!

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kris Jensen

Hey Eric, welcome to the forum.

You'll fit right in here! that's some very impressive stuff you got going on.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Great work @EricB

Love the accent washers on the hammer faces. Do the washers serve any additional purpose?

Great welds there too!

Welcome

JW

EricB

@Kris Jensen thanks, after seeing your CNC Plasma table build I'll take that as high praise! I'd love to have a table one day, but there's no way I'd be able to tackle all the electrical work involved with my current skills and knowledge. I can hold my own at mechanical or manufacturing work, but you have me look at sparky stuff and suddenly I'm Mike Tyson trying to do brain-surgery. You might enjoy this read on another forum: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199565

@Jwest7788 the washers are there mostly for aesthetics but also partially because putting them there meant I didn't need to put a relief on the male thread or a counter-bore on the female thread to have the faces meet flush. Thanks for setting up this forum! I'm on Garagejournal.com as well, but it's definitely nice to have something a bit more local. On there if a guy is from Ontario he seems like a long-forgotten neighbor.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
@Jwest7788 Thanks for setting up this forum! I'm on Garagejournal.com as well, but it's definitely nice to have something a bit more local. On there if a guy is from Ontario he seems like a long-forgotten neighbor.

No worries!

I was having troubles keeping meetups organized. This is a way better way of building a community!

JW