Heya

AntonB

Hi, Im Anton from Taber Ab and thought id introduce myself. Im a jm welder, 4th year Machinist, with a bunch years in millwrighting banked up. I work through the 1460 accross western canada doing maintenance on powerplants and refineries.

Im a tool geek and really like iron from the 40s and 50s. I have been setting up my garage for projects and restorations but have been hittting the limitations of my current machines. So im looking to upgrade my lathe and mill.

Im looking forward to getting to know people with similar interests.

Attachments

• 20240330_100917.jpg
    20240330_100917.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240320_135345.jpg
    20240320_135345.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20240320_144244.jpg
    20240320_144244.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240313_144453.jpg
    20240313_144453.jpg
    510.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240225_100524.jpg
    20240225_100524.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220525_103658.jpg
    20220525_103658.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20210326_181206.jpg
    20210326_181206.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 31
Welcome to the madhouse from Lillooet BC..... It looks like you have amassed a fair collection, I think that you will fit in fine around here....

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey welcome from Warner.

I like the pictures, especially the restored old Robin vise. I acquired a severely beaten and abused one like it and I'm toying with the idea of fixing it up also.

Forgive my ignorance but what's the big blue and white thing that looks like a gigantic milkshake blender?

AntonB

Hey welcome from Warner.

I like the pictures, especially the restored old Robin vise. I acquired a severely beaten and abused one like it and I'm toying with the idea of fixing it up also.

Forgive my ignorance but what's the big blue and white thing that looks like a gigantic milkshake blender?
Its a 1947 alemite pneumatic barrel pump. It would have been sold with a service merchandiser for mechanic shops before rolling tool boxes were in vogue.

You're the third person ive found that owns a robin vise. There may only three in excistance. You should definitely do a resto on it

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome to our Merry band of hobby machinists. Like others have said, you should fit in just fine!

So want to upgrade eh? You have definitely come to the right place! We will ALL love draining your bank account for you!

Pick a machine you want to upgrade and start a new thread on it. Tell us why you think it needs upgrading and some ideas about what you are looking for - not necessarily the machine model itself that you want but rather the capabilities of the new machine and/or what you want to do with it.

We don't really care what you think your budget is cuz our experience is that 99% of the hobby machinists out there end up spending way more than they tell their wives.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary.

There is a meet up on the 20th, perhaps you can join us....

AntonB

Welcome from Calgary.

There is a meet up on the 20th, perhaps you can join us....

Unfortunately im on shutdown field machining in sask till may and then up to fort mac till july . i would have liked to come but the bank doesnt care about my feelings. Hopefully it wont be a one and done and i can catch the next one.

AntonB

Welcome to our Merry band of hobby machinists. Like others have said, you should fit in just fine!

So want to upgrade eh? You have definitely come to the right place! We will ALL love draining your bank account for you!

Pick a machine you want to upgrade and start a new thread on it. Tell us why you think it needs upgrading and some ideas about what you are looking for - not necessarily the machine model itself that you want but rather the capabilities of the new machine and/or what you want to do with it.

We don't really care what you think your budget is cuz our experience is that 99% of the hobby machinists out there end up spending way more than they tell their wives.
I will definitely do that thanks for the advise.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Campbell River on Vancouver Island!

You have some nice machines there. And lots of roofer more from what I see.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Welcome! Many of us have quite definite opinions, and all share them in good humour, so ask away! you will get a good advice from several viewpoints.

From Calgary