Hemmingway sensitive knurler

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
This was a fun weekend project ! I made this sensitive knurler from Hemmingway plans.

The cheek plates are brass, trunnions and bushings are bronze. The knurl wheels are 40TPI which produce a fine, even knurl.

There is an eccentric shaft and lever which adjusts the knurl depth so it is quite easy to produce identical patterns. The jaws open from 0 to 2-1/4".

1704918828848.jpeg Knurler 7.jpeg Knurler 9.jpeg Knurler 0.jpeg Knurler 1.jpeg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Very nice job. A scissor knurling tool has been on my project wish list for a while, and I like that eccentric lock on the hemmingway design. Love the contrasting materials too. It would look really nice with a Black oxide finish on the steel parts next to those brass ones.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
No they are not available separately. A friend gave me a copy of the original plans which I used to create a Fusion360 model and assembly, just to make sure there was no interference. Just as well I did because there were a few errors and overlooked details in the plans. The arms and cheek plates were CNC machined from the F360 model. I think there was a version of this tool published in Model Engineer around 1959. I may have those plans and the article somewhere.

There is also this video: homemodelenginemachinist.com

Last edited:

jorogi

Actually you can get just the plans for them but they're not cheap, at least not as cheap as me. I plan on making one of these too but mine will be slightly different, primarily I'll incorporate the tool post dove tail into a slightly thicker cheek plate. That should reduce over hang and increase rigidity.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
. I plan on making one of these too but mine will be slightly different, primarily I'll incorporate the tool post dove tail into a slightly thicker cheek plate. That should reduce over hang and increase rigidity.
While increasing rigidity is usually a good thing, I'm thinking that won't offer you much with a knurler of this design, there really isn't any significant force transmitted back to the tool post. Or am I missing something?

Last edited:

jorogi

Actually you can get just the plans for them but they're not cheap, at least not as cheap as me. I plan on making one of these too but mine will be slightly different, primarily I'll incorporate the tool post dove tail into a slightly thicker cheek plate. That should reduce over hang and increase rigidity whilst freeing up a tool holder.

The biggest reason I can see for incorporating the dovetail into the knurler would be to free up a tool holder.
Ding ding ding give the man his prize. I meant to say that too but pushed reply too soon and then couldn't find an edit option.
And Mr (or Mrs is possible I guess) Pittman, I think you are right to believe that this style of tool doesnt put much load on the tool post but the arm is fairly long on it and rigidity is usually a good thing.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
And Mr (or Mrs is possible I guess) Pittman
Ya not a Mr. and definitely not a Mrs. either.

Nowadays I better qualify that by also stating that I don't mean X, it, them/they, other or anything of the like. I just mean that no one over the age of 12 would normally ever call me Mr. Pittman, that was my dad.

But thank you anyhow for your polite cordiality. ;)

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
And just to be clear the plans that were shared with me were the original plans, not a photocopy. They have been returned to the owner.
I've never purchased Hemingway plans, but I have purchased a lot of boat plans. They all had a 'license' to allow building of only one copy of the boat. If I wanted to build another, an addition fee needed to be paid.
Perhaps it would clear this up in short order if you get a note from Hemingway declaring that lending plans for additional tools to be made is permisible.