• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Help identifying a cutter found in toolbox

I agree with that Trev. The top cutters are proud, but they also angle up toward the root. So it would cut a sloped top on a T-slot. Maybe on purpose?

I'm convinced that the top is intended to cut too. Too much trouble to make it like that if it wasn't needed. But for what?

It's definitely a weird tool!
I'm not convinced it was supposed to cut on the top surface, but rather, suspect that the makers used the carbide blanks they could find, or had on hand. Looks to my eye like a basic 80 degree diamond blank, or maybe an insert meant for a top-clamp type holder.

FWIW, I would consider seeing if the centers in each end will clean up well enough to stick the thing in a lathe and turn it down to fit what tool holding you have.

Or, just park it with the rest of the 'stuff' that looks too good to chuck, but isn't currently useful enough to be really needed! :)

I'm not convinced it was supposed to cut on the top surface

We can agree to disagree for now. I'd even rather prefer that you are right. For now, that explanation doesn't sit well.

FWIW, I would consider seeing if the centers in each end will clean up well enough to stick the thing in a lathe and turn it down to fit what tool holding you have.

I agree. That's a much better approach than making an adapter for an adapter. I'm just not sure what equipment and ability the OP has.

I'm not convinced it was supposed to cut on the top surface, but rather, suspect that the makers used the carbide blanks they could find, or had on hand. Looks to my eye like a basic 80 degree diamond blank, or maybe an insert meant for a top-clamp type holder.

Or, just park it with the rest of the 'stuff' that looks too good to chuck, but isn't currently useful enough to be really needed! :)
I had thought about that but it seems just as easy to make an adapter for a 3/4" collet. That way if it doesn't do anything useful for me down the road if someone wants it I haven't changed it or made it less useful for them. I Don't see this tool doing much or at least not in my hands. But I thought people might like to see if it will make chips. Maybe if someone with a big boy machine wants to have some fun with it and post about it I can send it off to them after I give it a go.

That's the plan.

That was just my first blush. If you have the tools and skills to do it, I'd prolly take @trevj's approach and turn down the tool's shaft to your biggest ER32 collet capacity. The end result would be a more rigid setup. If you don't want to do that or can't do that, I'd make the adapter you are aiming at.

If you do make the adapter, try to do it all on one setup and then part it off so you have maximum concentricity.

Back