• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

hello

glenhw

my name is Glen White I have just purchased a king pdm 30 column mill and am learning how to use it i have installed a DRO and built a stand for it
I am having trouble finding material Calgary is the closest major center I am looking for some aluminum brass and some alloy steel to make some beginner projects such as clamps and machinist jacks
thanks
Glen 20220615_194928.jpg 20220615_202357.jpg

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hello and welcome from Vancouver Island!
The Calgary folks will be along soon to help :)

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary.

Sourcing metal in the Calgary local has been discussed here https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/sourcing-metal-general-discussion.37/

I use Metal Super Market when I need small pieces for one off projects. There is a meager discount on pieces scrounged from their end cuts bin. They will also cut to length anything you want. Not the cheapest place for metal that's for sure, but convenient.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Aluminum and steel are easy, federal metals for half and full lengths (prices are getting up there), steel inc is pretty good for anything up to full lengths, metal supermarket is astronomical (but if you only need a few inches and they have it well...)

Brass, acetal, etc...millennium alloys in Kelowna is where I have gone, unfortunately shipping is involved..I just try to order enough to offset that, you might find some at metal supermarkets or *possibly* steel inc

Welcome from Calgary.

Sourcing metal in the Calgary local has been discussed here https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/sourcing-metal-general-discussion.37/

I use Metal Super Market when I need small pieces for one off projects. There is a meager discount on pieces scrounged from their end cuts bin. They will also cut to length anything you want. Not the cheapest place for metal that's for sure, but convenient.
Hello, This is Daniel from Calgary Metal market. Come check us out! A hell of a lot cheaper than Metal Supermarket. 225 41 ave ne Calgary

Aluminum and steel are easy, federal metals for half and full lengths (prices are getting up there), steel inc is pretty good for anything up to full lengths, metal supermarket is astronomical (but if you only need a few inches and they have it well...)

Brass, acetal, etc...millennium alloys in Kelowna is where I have gone, unfortunately shipping is involved..I just try to order enough to offset that, you might find some at metal supermarkets or *possibly* steel inc
Hello, This is Daniel from Calgary Metal market. Come check us out! A hell of a lot cheaper than Metal Supermarket. 225 41 ave ne Calgary