• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Winnipeg

Rudy-

I'm recently retired and want to start pursuing some of my hobby interests. I used to work for a smaller electronic manufacture doing some design, and support for current and legacy products. I have a small workshop in the basement with a 9x18 lathe, small Rockwell milling machine. I want to make a CNC router.

After I get some repairs done to the house I want to spend some time focused on metal casting. I have a small electric furnace that I have used to do some initial casting with zinc. I haven't melted aluminum yet. I need to build a larger furnace for the crucibles I have. I have been using a steel pipe crucible for zinc (0.8 liters) but can only fit a 0.2 L capacity clay-graphite crucible for aluminum. I have a preference for electric as I can use it indoors in the winter with minimal exhaust. Also hope to use it for heat treating.

I have had the lathe and mill for about 20+ years. I have not made use of them much, and when I did it was often for work. I have a 3D printer that I want use to make patterns for casting, along with plastic parts when appropriate. I want to use FreeCad for design. When I get my CNC router built I plan to also use that to make patterns.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island! Lived in Winnipeg for Jr. High and High school.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Cool intro! Welcome from Farm country south of Chatham Ontario! Sounds to me like you already fit right in!

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
Welcome from Winnipeg!!! (actually N.W. Transcona). Great to see another person from Winnipeg here.

Congratulations on your recent retirement. Sounds like you have a well set up shop and will soon be having lots of fun.

Retirement for me is still a few years away. I finally got my lathe into the basement last fall and this winter the mill. I‘m having lots of fun learning about metalworking!

mickeyf

Hello! Glad to hear from one more person who like to mix electronics with metalworking (and other technologies...)!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Another Vancouver Island welcome. A bit of electronics goofing around is always good fun.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome aboard to this forum. As a fairly new member (6 months) i can tell you that your time spent here will be rewarding, informative, interesting, helpful and fun.