• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Windsor Ont.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I work in automotive mostly. Lots of Abs and 2 shot lens tools.
Manifold service now.

I'm from an auto background too. 35 years in virtually every aspect of automotive. My shop developed the very first ABS intake manifold.

But I was born a farm boy and in my old age, I decided to step up the heart rate again. So I'm a farmer again now with a machinery calling!

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I think some Hydra-forming is utilized these days for metal manifolds.
We had a lot of sandcast parts with machined features used to assemble process equipment. Usually post heat-treating was used to relieve internal stresses created during the cooling of variable cross sections.

What is a 2 shot lens ?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think some Hydra-forming is utilized these days for metal manifolds.
We had a lot of sandcast parts with machined features used to assemble process equipment. Usually post heat-treating was used to relieve internal stresses created during the cooling of variable cross sections.

What is a 2 shot lens ?

Prolly shouldn't answer for @78Notch, but my auto background calls me. I believe he is referring to two colour lighting lenses. They can inject two different colours in the same mould to make a light lens that can be clear and red or clear and amber or red and amber. Very cool.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Thanks for the automotive terminology clarification.
Some of the complicated plastic injection moulds ‘would‘ involve multiple ‘shots’ of compatible resins to produce the lighting effects required.
Every industry seems to have its own vocabulary of terms.
(Ie. Screen changer, Die lips, Spiral distribution die, etc)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for the automotive terminology clarification.
Some of the complicated plastic injection moulds ‘would‘ involve multiple ‘shots’ of compatible resins to produce the lighting effects required.
Every industry seems to have its own vocabulary of terms.
(Ie. Screen changer, Die lips, Spiral distribution die, etc)

Ya, too many sectors with a, wide variety of specialization within a huge industry!

I was always amazed at things like textured multimedium injection moulding with patterns and colour mixing to look and feel like leather or woodgrain or screening or or or. Amazing technology really.

But heck, that is no different than us! And even within "us" we differ on what the terms mean....

Cant resist just one example. Lathe levelling......

It was ever thus! (Insert big sigh here.....)

Outboardguy44

'allo dare from the Pointe Aux Roche area near da shore of beautiful Lake St. Clair dare eh.

If you're interested in a small lathe for home projects, I have a South Bend 10K that I could be talked out of...... ;-)

Best,
PM T2