• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from SW Ontario

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Small world! I went to high school in Wingham at F.E. Madill. At one point, I was well-acquainted with gravel running on way too many of those back roads!

Craig
Craig - Were you from ‘Swinging Wingham’ ?
Everybody gets more familiar when they communicate.

I mention ‘gravel running’ to people from the GTA and they ask me . . .
Is that like track and field on a non-asphalt surface ?
Those were the days !!

trlvn

Ultra Member
Craig - Were you from ‘Swinging Wingham’ ?
Everybody gets more familiar when they communicate.

I mention ‘gravel running’ to people from the GTA and they ask me . . .
Is that like track and field on a non-asphalt surface ?
Those were the days !!
"Swinging Wingham"? No one ever described the town in those terms that I knew of! There were some cute girls that went roller skating at the Howick Community Centre, though...

And, no, my hometown was Lucknow. Which is on the dividing line between Huron and Bruce Counties but technically part of Bruce. Nonetheless, Wingham is a lot closer than the high schools in Walkerton or Kincardine so they sensibly shipped us there.

Thank God that kids are a lot more sensible these days about driving drunk. Kids that I knew died in car crashes at least 3 different times and yet we still did it damn near every weekend. Hard to believe that we couldn't put 2 and 2 together.

Craig

LenVW

Premium Member
I hear you Craig.
We could be pretty stupid as well, in our younger years.
I think we were just trying to keep up with the other kids.
I knew a couple of Central Huron S.S. acquaintances who also departed too early.

‘Swinging Wingham’ was the nickname for the FM station - 102 CKNX . LOL

Hey did you get your mill out of the garage or is your wife’s car still in the lane ?

trlvn

Ultra Member
Yup, my round column is in the basement:

IMG_4400.JPG

This picture is a couple of weeks old. I've been trying to get going on a little project that will need the rotary table I picked up before Christmas. That turned into making tee-nuts for the RT as well as studs to attach the RT to the mill's table. With a sidetrack into a better tapping system for the lathe. But I've actually made chips with both the mill and lathe!

Craig

LenVW

Premium Member
Yup, my round column is in the basement:

View attachment 20279

This picture is a couple of weeks old. I've been trying to get going on a little project that will need the rotary table I picked up before Christmas. That turned into making tee-nuts for the RT as well as studs to attach the RT to the mill's table. With a sidetrack into a better tapping system for the lathe. But I've actually made chips with both the mill and lathe!

Craig
Looks good - Craig !!
Bright lighting and lots of elevated storage reduces the chance of small tooling being kicked under other pieces in the workshop.
I am a strong supporter of an organized, well lit workshop.
A dingy space does nothing for the creative utilization of the tools you have on hand.
”Innovation shines in the light of day”

trlvn

Ultra Member
I did listen to CKNX during high school. In fact, I won two tickets to the premiere of Star Wars (the first one) plus a sound track album when I was the correct caller! The radio/TV station was right next to the high school so I just walked over at lunch to pick up my winnings. Pretty sure I still have the album.

Craig

LenVW

Premium Member
I am pretty sure that I saw the original STAR WARS at the Park theatre on the Courthouse Square in Goderich.
We might have been at the same show.

May the FORCE be with you !!

A scholar and a poet, who knew !!

I used to work for SIHI Vacuum Pump Systems in Guelph and there was a standing joke about piping
circuit assemblers being LEAKY and designers being WETHEADS.

You are lucky to have some space, my basement room is limiting but cozy.
I sure miss my old track arm, that was an old ONT Hydro unit from a friend of mines mom University days.

LenVW

Premium Member
I sure miss my old track arm, that was an old ONT Hydro unit from a friend of mines mom University days.
When Kellogg’s in London switched to Integraph CAD I was able to buy the track-arm.
Prior to the switch Kellogg’s laid out all their equipment designs on the board. There used to be 10 teams of Engineers, Designers and Procurement agents working on process flow (P&IDs) and planning schematics that were used as models for Kellogg’s plants all over NA.