Hello from Saskatoon!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
It's next door to a scrapyard, and looks like part of the same business, but isn't. Always a bunch of rough trucks in the driveway getting various welding work done. Wear boots, bring gloves, know you'll get messy.
Last week I went looking for 3x7' of 3" schedule 40 steel pipe (mouting poles for my new solar installation). MSM wanted $780 for it. HC set me up, including punching holes in some 1/4" flange plates, *and welding them on* for just over $500. Oh, with same day service. I'm really happy to give them my business.
That's a decent price!
I think I'll be switching especially since MSM is not open on Saturdays any longer.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey @Lanis3333 , I just looked at your lathe on the Grizzly Website. VERY NICE!!!

I had wanted to see what toolpost it comes with. But the photos don't show it. Looks like a BXA or CXA, but can't tell if it's wedge or piston. I have a pistom style and am looking to get a wedge, but not a cheap one. I'll prolly wait for a brand name (like Aloris) sale and splurge.

I may have to download the manual to get the details.

2" spindle bore eh...... Drooling with envy. Mine is ONLY 1.5...... LOL!

The only downside of your lathe in my opinion is the 70rpm minimum. That's my minimum too. I wish it was 40..... But even 50 would be great. My plan is to swap my 220V 2hp motor out for a 3HP and VFD. I have the VFD already but the right motor is evading me.

I see your unit also comes with a 2-axis DRO. NICE! That's also in my future plans - still have not decided about the compound though.

Yup, love your lathe.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
With both metric and inch collets you probably won't need any other round ones. I suggest waiting until you need a specific size collet, otherwise you could end up as a tool "collector" rather than a tool "user".
My collet chuck spends a lot of time on the lathe, collets are great with standard size material and no need for soft jaws.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
They are suffering from a staff shortage so don't have the people to open on Saturdays. No idea when it started.
Edit: this is the store here. no idea if it's more widespread.
Yeah, I found out the hard way a few weeks ago. Drove out and came home empty-handed.

Lanis3333

Hey @Lanis3333 , I just looked at your lathe on the Grizzly Website. VERY NICE!!!

I had wanted to see what toolpost it comes with. But the photos don't show it. Looks like a BXA or CXA, but can't tell if it's wedge or piston. I have a pistom style and am looking to get a wedge, but not a cheap one. I'll prolly wait for a brand name (like Aloris) sale and splurge.

I may have to download the manual to get the details.

2" spindle bore eh...... Drooling with envy. Mine is ONLY 1.5...... LOL!

The only downside of your lathe in my opinion is the 70rpm minimum. That's my minimum too. I wish it was 40..... But even 50 would be great. My plan is to swap my 220V 2hp motor out for a 3HP and VFD. I have the VFD already but the right motor is evading me.

I see your unit also comes with a 2-axis DRO. NICE! That's also in my future plans - still have not decided about the compound though.

Yup, love your lathe.
I think its a BXA.... The specs say is a 200 series, but that's Grizzly speak. I was planning on 5/8" tooling for it.

The 2.01" spindle bore is what sold me. I happen to have 8 old hydraulic cylinders that have 2" rams in them. A plethora of usable material that'll actually fit through the spindle bore.

The VFD upgrade is definitely on the to do list. Which VFD did you buy? I see loads of cheap ones on amazon and were wondering if they actually do what they say they do. I'd really like an electronic lead screw as well, but we'll see if that's actually necessary.

Take a look at TouchDRO. I bought a used Amazon Fire tablet to run it for $35. I don't have it installed on my RF-30 yet, that's a side project I am really looking forward to. I've 3d printed a tablet case for it and will mount it on the side of the mill. Then it's bluetooth to the little box that the glass scales connect to.

www.touchdro.com/store/diy-dro-glass-scale-adapter-v2.html

The app is a free download from the android store. I also have a tach sensor that I'll install so I can see RPM on the display. I've asked Yuriy to add a start/stop button and For/Rev in the app with headers on the board to also control the VFD from the App. I'll post my progress on this project once I start.

mickeyf

Last week I went looking for 3x7' of 3" schedule 40 steel pipe
Not to make you feel bad for missing things, but I have a large collection of used pipe in various sizes just because I'm a pack rat, and things come to me. I probably should not take it all with me when I move, but should pass on what I have to good causes. Don't know if I had exactly what you were after, but...

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Not to make you feel bad for missing things, but I have a large collection of used pipe in various sizes just because I'm a pack rat, and things come to me. I probably should not take it all with me when I move, but should pass on what I have to good causes. Don't know if I had exactly what you were after, but...
Let us know when a good time to come by for a scrouge/ends sale would be!

mickeyf

I have rarely bought new steel, but made things out of scraps, junkyard stuff, etc. Even rusty shafting that's not much oversize (1/8") to what you need generally cleans up nicely - the rust is not very deep. For people here on the Island, DEMEXX in Coombs is worth a look. What they have comes and goes, but in the past I have found lengths of 6" diameter shafting from decommissioned sawmills, sprockets, structural steel, at a fraction of what you'd pay at a place like Metal Supermarket.

mickeyf

Let us know when a good time to come by for a scrouge/ends sale would be!
I just checked and what I have is 2" and smaller, all salvaged pipe from reno's I've done, much of it galvanized. Some has cast iron fittings still on the ends. I've found this cast iron also to be useful for small things sometimes. If anyone was planning to weld it they'd want to grind off the galvanizing first - metal fume fever is no fun, got that as an apprentice machinist boring a run of galvanized fittings on a turret lathe.

If any of this sounds useful to anyone, I'm home more often that not. Gorge-Tillicum area.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Lanis3333 & @PaulL

I've written here many times before that farm supply places, farm equipment junk yards, and farm auctions are GREAT PLACES to get scrap metal for much less than scrap prices.

Old Bolts are also a great source of good quality steel in short lengths. Many an old bolt has taken on a new life as something else after reconstructive surgery on my lathe.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Sage advice. I'll move that money over to get a bigger surface plate!

Speaking of collets, is the 100 piece set (in increments of 1/64th) necessary for the work you do? Are the hex and square 5C useful?
Hex collets - 1/4”, 3/8”, 7/16”, 1/2”, 9/16”. The last three are crazy useful for modifying hex bolts and nuts. For square, 1/4”, 3/8”, and 1/2” is all I’ve ever used. Anything bigger it’s better just to use a four-jaw chuck.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Welcome from the east coast, somewhere near Halifax!

I think you've already found how helpful members of this group are for sharing info and advice and for spending your hard earned cash! I've found the same, good group and no attitudes, enthusiastic spenders.

Take a look at TouchDRO. I bought a used Amazon Fire tablet to run it for $35. I don't have it installed on my RF-30 yet, that's a side project I am really looking forward to. I've 3d printed a tablet case for it and will mount it on the side of the mill. Then it's bluetooth to the little box that the glass scales connect to.

As you get into your DRO project I would like to ask if you would share some of your experience as you get it up and running. It's an option I'm considering for my First mill which I acquired a few months ago. I've written elsewhere in the forums about some of my PRO/CON thoughts and I'm interested in some first hand comments. I have seen but not digested the forum Yuriy participates in over at Hobby Machinist.

D:cool:

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure what metal they still carry but in Saskatoon if i need small amounts i go to Steelmet Supply, they used to have a cutoff bin you could rumage thru. I don't buy much as i have a good assortment on the farm that usually works for my purpose.

Lanis3333

@Tecnico , I am planning a post in "My Current Projects" about the Touch DRO build. I'll probably get the Mill to my garage early next week. It'll be a mash up of 3d printed parts (I can finally print ABS) and milled aluminum for attachment of the glass scales. Stay Tuned !

@6.5 Fan , I remember in Regina, just off Broad street was a place called CMS Metals. I've bought cut offs from them in the past, but it was over 10 years ago now! I have resorted to Steelmet, but their $16 cutting fee was a little much. I remember them having some 2"x2" internal, flash removed for a hitch I was building for my brothers Volvo.