Hello from Quebec

lucsimoneau

Hi to all,
I'm currently considering a modification the the CX601 Spindle to control the rotation directly from my G-Code program. I have already replaced the plastic gears with a timing belt setup, increaing the maximum speed to around 3500 RPM. After finding some videos from Franco on YouTube (
) and his implementation of a spindle control isolating board for his PM-728VT, I'm thinking about doing the same with the CX601. Got a KBCSi-240D from Amazon and have been putting this off for a while.
Has anybody done something like this with their machine?
Thanks for any info

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Hi to all,
I'm currently considering a modification the the CX601 Spindle to control the rotation directly from my G-Code program. I have already replaced the plastic gears with a timing belt setup, increaing the maximum speed to around 3500 RPM. After finding some videos from Franco on YouTube (
) and his implementation of a spindle control isolating board for his PM-728VT, I'm thinking about doing the same with the CX601. Got a KBCSi-240D from Amazon and have been putting this off for a while.
Thanks for any info
What I really liked about your conversion there is the anti-rattle solution. It's my biggest complaint about mine. When I'm running my spindle at 3000 RPM (1:1 from the AC servo driving the spindle) the rattle until the milling cutter engages is noisy. I'll have to see if I can make something like that for mine.

I'm running LinuxCNC with a MESA board and did start with 0-10VDC for speed control with the encoder on the spindle. But in the long run since the MESA can do it I went with step/dir for the spindle. I still get 3000 RPM but I can also do 1 RPM.

Nice job so far.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Hi - welcome from Abbotsford, BC.

I'm also building some machinery with EGB drives using ballscrews. We should chat! (EGB = Electronic Gear Boxes)

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
Hi to all,
Thanks for any info
Have you considered the Teknic servo motors? These are a closed loop DC servomotor system which provides both speed/direction and position control.

I have used these very successfully on my mill with three servos on the XYZ axes, and a Teknic MCDV motor for the spindle drive. Servos are a significant upgrade from the previous stepper motors and inductive AC spindle motor.