• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Ontario

Aliva

Super User
I just found this site and am looking forward to participating in discussions and maybe able to offer some insights on various machining issues, and certainly learn more about the world of hobby machining
I'm not a machinist by trade but have worked with many in the course of my career as a millwright and HDEM .I do it for the fun of it. I'm a member of other machinist forums mostly US based, so it's nice to have found this forum geared to the Canadian perspective.
I presently have a 12x36 lathe and a 9x42 knee mill, (Bridgeport clone) along with a good variety of tooling for each.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome nice to have you along.
I've always sort of thought a millright and a machinists were almost the same thing. Can you tell me the differences.

Aliva

Super User
Machinist's normally work in a shop environment with various machinery types from lathes mills surface grinders broches and more. Millwrights mostly work in the field environment maintaining and installing industrial machinery. Although the millwright has some training in using lathes and mills, the depth of the training is very shallow. Where I used to work we had a dedicated machine shop of about 30 machinists, were as the millwrights also known as industrial mechanics, numbered in the 200 range. Few machinists go into the field for equipment repairs and installation. Millwrights will install, and or troubleshoot ,lets say, a large conveyor , ventilation, piping or hydraulic, pneumatic system or other components. Where i worked we have called machinists in to do coupling alignments as we didn't have the proper tools to do it. My department later purchased a $15,000.00 laser alignment tool. We never called a machinist in again. In fact they borrowed our tool several times as it was much better than what they had.
Hope this explains the basic differences.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Machinist's normally work in a shop environment with various machinery types from lathes mills surface grinders broches and more. Millwrights mostly work in the field environment maintaining and installing industrial machinery. Although the millwright has some training in using lathes and mills, the depth of the training is very shallow. Where I used to work we had a dedicated machine shop of about 30 machinists, were as the millwrights also known as industrial mechanics, numbered in the 200 range. Few machinists go into the field for equipment repairs and installation. Millwrights will install, and or troubleshoot ,lets say, a large conveyor , ventilation, piping or hydraulic, pneumatic system or other components. Where i worked we have called machinists in to do coupling alignments as we didn't have the proper tools to do it. My department later purchased a $15,000.00 laser alignment tool. We never called a machinist in again. In fact they borrowed our tool several times as it was much better than what they had.
Hope this explains the basic differences.
Oh very good now I know. That must of been quite the business/industry you worked in. I'd love the opportunity to go work for free for 3-6 months in various work situation like that just for the experience.

Aliva

Super User
I worked for INCO Ltd for 271/2 years. They were bought out by Vale Canada ( Brazilian owned) in 2006 There are about 4,000 employees here in Sudbury operating 6 mines one smelter and one nickel refinery. Vale world wide has about 70,000 employees

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from SK. I always wondered what the difference was between millwright and a machinist. thanks

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hello from Farm country south of Chatham Ontario. My employer for 37 years had people from every corner of the skilled trades spectrum including millwrights. You will fit right in.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Welcome aboard from Saskatchewan, thanks for sharing the difference between machinist and millwrights. Never to old to learn they say.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Welcome to the group.
I was a manual machinist 30 years ago and spent the last 20 years designing and building industrial process machinery along with many Millwrights and Engineers, all in the Kitchener area of SW Ontario.

darrin1200

Darrin
Welcome from Eastern Ontario
Technically, my Weapons Tech trade, in the military, translates over to millwright. We cover all the same basic skills, but we just don the get to use them as much any more.

Aliva

Super User
Welcome from Eastern Ontario
Technically, my Weapons Tech trade, in the military, translates over to millwright. We cover all the same basic skills, but we just don the get to use them as much any more.
My son in law is stationed at CFB Edmonton. He was servicing tanks in Oromucto then took a promotion to Edmonton, where he runs a shop.

Aliva

Super User
He must be a RCEME tech. I worked on Tank maintenance there for 4 years, repairing the guns.
What a coincidence , he also worked on the guns, the sighting electronics and optics, I think. i believe he said he was RCEME, too many acronyms for me to remember.