• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from Ontario

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Tell us more! What do you hope to make? What machines do you run? There's a lot of guys that do amazing stuff in small quarters with limited equipment.

GlenB

I have small atlas 10f bought it cheap for no reason but it looked cool started to look it up on line and got interested once I figure out what I need I will post more just need beginner things to start with any links to start with would be awsome

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Watch out, this machining thing is a wild rabbit hole that many fall down and never come out again quite the same!

Lots of great youtube videos... Tubalcain is one of my favourites. Few other great ones listed recently in another thread.

A 10" Atlas lathe is pretty nice if in decent shape. Have you got it all figured out and running as it should?

GlenB

Not yet tore it down travel gear in apron was broke and looking for tool post but hard to get money out my wife purse and yes I've fallen down this rabbit hole can't stop falling lol. I've watched the tubilcain videos and find that's just what I needed please excuse my ignorance if I don't answer right away I like old machine tools not that savy with computers

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hey no hurry to answer back, I'm sort of the same. Yes, justifying money to throw at our hobbies can be a challenge.
Lots of really good and talented people pop by this forum and are usually very helpful and willing.

GlenB

If seen this and already started to pay attention thx found thread with that lazy machinist perfect thanx

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Not yet tore it down travel gear in apron was broke and looking for tool post but hard to get money out my wife purse and yes I've fallen down this rabbit hole can't stop falling lol. I've watched the tubilcain videos and find that's just what I needed please excuse my ignorance if I don't answer right away I like old machine tools not that savy with computers

Tom's machining videos on you tube are good too.

Everett

Super User
Like the guys above have said, once you've gotten a taste of this hobby it's a slippery slope . . . never enough money or time, it seems. As mentioned, Marc from Quebec is awesome to learn from, as well as mrpete - they are both retired shop teachers, so they have a gift for it. Lots of other good people to learn from on YouTube, but also a wealth of knowledge among the members here. I've learned quite a bit just "lurking," lol. Looking forward to seeing pictures when you peel some metal chips!