• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from Nova Scotia

Upnorth

Hello to all from rural Nova Scotia where interest in machining is pretty sparse. Good to have found a place that is Canadian so the information on where to get things is a lot more relevant than what I usually see on the internet.

I'm mostly interested in CNC I have a working CNC mill and a second project one. I also have an almost ready to go small CNC lathe and a manual Harrison M300.

Really looking forward to learning on here.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome, there's a few folks here with a lot of CNC experience.

Upnorth

I noticed a lot of you are from out west. I probably should have mentioned I spent quite a bit of time out west. I lived in Dawson Creek, Vancouver, Port Hardy and my last place out west was 7 years in Calgary. I really like it out west but land and a shop was too expensive so I moved home and made an old cow barn into a work shop. If I ever win the lottery I would be moving back to the west.

I noticed a lot of you are from out west. I probably should have mentioned I spent quite a bit of time out west. I lived in Dawson Creek, Vancouver, Port Hardy and my last place out west was 7 years in Calgary. I really like it out west but land and a shop was too expensive so I moved home and made an old cow barn into a work shop. If I ever win the lottery I would be moving back to the west.
I too spent some time in Port Hardy. 1981-1984 ish....

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hello to all from rural Nova Scotia where interest in machining is pretty sparse. Good to have found a place that is Canadian so the information on where to get things is a lot more relevant than what I usually see on the internet.

I'm mostly interested in CNC I have a working CNC mill and a second project one. I also have an almost ready to go small CNC lathe and a manual Harrison M300.

Really looking forward to learning on here.
Welcome, so you have a manual Harrison M300 eh. You're name is now mud :p

My brother tried so hard to buy a late model Colchester Student 2500 or Harrison M300 but had to settle for less. Lucky you.

Care to say what part of NS? I spent an entire summer on Cheticamp Island in my childhood, it is still one of my fav places

Upnorth

Welcome, so you have a manual Harrison M300 eh. You're name is now mud :p

My brother tried so hard to buy a late model Colchester Student 2500 or Harrison M300 but had to settle for less. Lucky you.

Care to say what part of NS? I spent an entire summer on Cheticamp Island in my childhood, it is still one of my fav places
I like the Harrison M300 but I wish now that I had bought the other lathe that was there. Going from memory it was about 12 feet between centres. Made in Belgium. Had 2 chucks and went for about $800. The Harrison was about $2400 if I remember right. Had some issues. 575 volt motor. Missing compound rest. Jammed thread pitch selector gear. I was able to fix the last issue by resetting the gear with a big screwdriver through the oil fill hole.

I'm in the western end of Nova Scotia so no where near Cheticamp.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Upnorth : how close are you to New Brunswick? Or further west like Shelburne? Yarmouth, Digby……I will be relocating just outside Fredricton.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Campbell River! Port Hardy, eh? Nice spot!

Awesome bunch of guys here who are always ready to lend a hand, or a shoulder to cry on, depending on what you need.

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Upnorth, you are definitely West! LOL. I have family all over the place and friends in NS. My wife started in Amherst and then moved to Westmount (Sydney). Her Dad is from Marion Bridge - lots of cousins around Cape Breton and Antigonish. I worked for the Coast Guard so: many years in Cape Breton and then sailed all over Nova Scotia and the rest of the Maritimes.