• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Hello from New Brunswick

Thomas

Hi I recently purchased a Standard Modern 9" Utilathe Model 1000 that needs a bit of work, hoping to find some information and possibly parts once I dig into it. I'm a red seal Millwright and have 16 years in at my company where I have access to a complete machine shop but I have a few projects I'd like to do at home and this lathe kind of fell in my lap. A local motor rewind shop is closing its doors and the lathe had been sitting in a back room partially disassembled since 2002 and came with two brand new chucks.

Attachments

• 20211120_164442.jpg
    20211120_164442.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 11

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary. I to have a 9" Utilathe and love it. Did you get a steady rest, follower rest, threading dial, and taper attachment with it? I have some spare parts here, so let me know what you need.

Last edited:

Thomas

I did not receive a steady rest, follower rest or taper attachment but I am going back to the rewind shop Monday to dig around, the room it came out of was floor to ceiling boxes. I had a cross slide assembly for a rockwell delta that was in one of my boxes so I'd like to figure out where it came from.

Attachments

• 20211120_164327.jpg
    20211120_164327.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211120_164333.jpg
    20211120_164333.jpg
    436.6 KB · Views: 3

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Welcome from Vancouver Island.
You can download the manual here:
I recently sold my SM9 and still have a few headstock gears if needed.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm in Saint John, it's about and hour south of Fredericton.
Hey, welcome from South of Chatham in Ontario.

Been to both cities. Very nice places. I always have a hard time trying to remember if it's St John or St John's. The other one is in nfld.

Every time I think about St. John, I remember a funny story. I was invited to speak at the university there as their annual guest lecturer. There were maybe 3 or 400 people in the auditorium waiting. But the AV guy didn't show up so I was preparing to have to yell. At the last minute he showed up in a big fan-fare and then proceeded to give me a pedantic lesson on how to use everything. There were a half dozen remotes - one for each device. In particular he made a big deal about how the big overhead projector control was line-of-sight only and repeated that several times as though I was a total idiot. (I am, but he shouldn't have tried so hard to prove it). When he was all done, I took out my palm pilot, and quickly programmed all of the remotes into it (an easy process I did regularly), and then tested everything. As a final test, I reached around under my arm and bounced the signal for the overhead off the projector screen behind me, which worked just fine. Then I held it my lips and blew the smoke off the muzzle as though it were a pistol. I ended all that with a loud "SO MUCH FOR LINE OF SIGHT". The AV guy crawled out of the room and the crowd howled.

As a gift, they gave me a solid brass mariners navigation sextant. What an awesome piece of hardware! Not only that, but the airport security folks let me take it on the plane home with me! That would not have happened in any airport in Ontario.....

Ya, I love the Maritimes almost as much as Saskatchewan.

Thomas

Hey, welcome from South of Chatham in Ontario.

Been to both cities. Very nice places. I always have a hard time trying to remember if it's St John or St John's. The other one is in nfld.

Every time I think about St. John, I remember a funny story. I was invited to speak at the university there as their annual guest lecturer. There were maybe 3 or 400 people in the auditorium waiting. But the AV guy didn't show up so I was preparing to have to yell. At the last minute he showed up in a big fan-fare and then proceeded to give me a pedantic lesson on how to use everything. There were a half dozen remotes - one for each device. In particular he made a big deal about how the big overhead projector control was line-of-sight only and repeated that several times as though I was a total idiot. (I am, but he shouldn't have tried so hard to prove it). When he was all done, I took out my palm pilot, and quickly programmed all of the remotes into it (an easy process I did regularly), and then tested everything. As a final test, I reached around under my arm and bounced the signal for the overhead off the projector screen behind me, which worked just fine. Then I held it my lips and blew the smoke off the muzzle as though it were a pistol. I ended all that with a loud "SO MUCH FOR LINE OF SIGHT". The AV guy crawled out of the room and the crowd howled.

As a gift, they gave me a solid brass mariners navigation sextant. What an awesome piece of hardware! Not only that, but the airport security folks let me take it on the plane home with me! That would not have happened in any airport in Ontario.....

Ya, I love the Maritimes almost as much as Saskatchewan.
You have no idea how many times we have had rush parts accidentally shipped to St John's NFLD, you learn to use airport codes instead (YSJ) as Air Canada cargo has a better success rate if you keep it simple. Our airport is great, two gates and they are 40FT from the front door so up until recently you could show up twenty minutes before your flight without issue.

darrin1200

Darrin
Welcome aboard Thomas.
I was posted to Gagetown for 6 years. I spent a lot of time at a place called WTP, about half way down to Saint John.

Crosche

Super User
Welcome to the forum from Calgary! Lot's of knowledgable folks here, so you are almost certain to find lots of information about your lathe.

Cheers,

Chad