Hello from London, Ontario

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just wanted to pop in and say hello to everyone. Im a beginner and just bought a colt ty720g, MyFord super 7 clone. I'm looking forward to learning what I'm doing and pestering all of you with my questions
Welcome to the forum. With a new machine like that I'll bet big bucks you will love the interaction with members here. They are an awesome, knowledgeable, and friendly bunch of machinists!

If you are from London, I might just be your closest neighbour. I am south of Chatham on Lake Erie. Give me a shout by including "@Susquatch" (without the quote marks) in a message or PM (private message) me if you need hands on help. I am relatively new to milling, but I have used a lathe for a thousand years, and I'm a really handy sort of fellow. Last but not least, I drive to Waterloo once or twice a week to visit my mother in law who is in a home there.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary Garrett. I'm more on the fabrication side of the hobby (addiction?) but there are lots of machinists here on the forum.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from Calgary Garrett. I'm more on the fabrication side of the hobby (addiction?) but there are lots of machinists here on the forum.

Hmmmm, thinking perhaps you being a fabrication side fellow you are also a welder...... I'm the crappiest welder who ever lived. If you can weld better than I do - which is highly likely - I could probably use some advice from time to time. The only person I've ever met who welds worse than me is my middle son who thinks he is a good welder, but then again he is still young and doesn't know enough yet to know how little he really knows..... LOL!

Also just wondering, how did you know that @gmihovics first name was Garrett? Is there a forum secret I don't know about?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hmmmm, thinking perhaps you being a fabrication side fellow you are also a welder...... I'm the crappiest welder who ever lived. If you can weld better than I do - which is highly likely - I could probably use some advice from time to time. The only person I've ever met who welds worse than me is my middle son who thinks he is a good welder, but then again he is still young and doesn't know enough yet to know how little he really knows..... LOL!

Also just wondering, how did you know that @gmihovics first name was Garrett? Is there a forum secret I don't know about?
I do weld a lot—MIG and TIG mostly, but am no professional. Always here to help, including bad advice if needed.

WRT Garrett it's in his signature line. Trust me—I have neither magical powers, nor am I the possessor of sacred forum secrets. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night LOL.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do weld a lot—MIG and TIG mostly, but am no professional. Always here to help, including bad advice if needed.

WRT Garrett it's in his signature line. Trust me—I have neither magical powers, nor am I the possessor of sacred forum secrets. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night LOL.

Any welder except my son and maybe @YYCHM is better than me. So I'll prolly be in touch. But no MIG or TIG here. Just basic AC/DC rod, wire, and gas.

I can't seem to find a signature line. Doesn't show on my mobile even when I go to his profile. Might be a setting I need to change, but I don't know what it is.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Any welder except my son and maybe @YYCHM is better than me. So I'll prolly be in touch. But no MIG or TIG here. Just basic AC/DC rod, wire, and gas.

I can't seem to find a signature line. Doesn't show on my mobile even when I go to his profile. Might be a setting I need to change, but I don't know what it is.
You're right—it doesn't show on mobile for me either. I was on my MacBook when I originally responded.

gmihovics

Garrett
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'm sure you will be hearing from me any day @Susquatch. I appreciate the offer of help. I've been reading through a bunch of your posts and you have some interesting projects going on.

As for the type of work, I'm building a CNC router, or will be when life gives me a little more time. So most of my work will probably be related to that or improvements to the lathe for a while. Might try to make some simple starter projects before I get too ahead of myself.

Any suggestions for some starter projects?

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member

I'm sure you will be hearing from me any day @Susquatch. I appreciate the offer of help. I've been reading through a bunch of your posts and you have some interesting projects going on.

As for the type of work, I'm building a CNC router, or will be when life gives me a little more time. So most of my work will probably be related to that or improvements to the lathe for a while. Might try to make some simple starter projects before I get too ahead of myself.

Do something for the wife. If the addiction grabs you as much as it does with other forum members, you're going to need some credit in the bank for future projects.

I swear there are times when wives could have passed away and members never knew it because they were too busy in the shop on a pet project for the past several months.

gmihovics

Garrett
That's some pretty good advice, can't say she is extremely pleased with the latest purchase. I've spent a little more than I am normally allowed. She's a good woman letting me buy my new toy.

Now I just need her to let me get some cutting tools

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

OH oh.... You've been reading my posts...... :oops:

Please don't hold that against me.... ;)

Here is a thread I created that aligns closely with your search for suggested projects.

Thread 'Simple cool 1 day project needed.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/simple-cool-1-day-project-needed.3883/

gmihovics

Garrett

trlvn

Ultra Member
Now I just need her to let me get some cutting tools

For your Colt lathe? I have more high speed steel blanks than I could use in a lifetime. If you ever come down near Oakville, I'd be glad to donate a few pieces. With enough warning, I might even put a usable edge on one or two.

Craig