• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hello from likely BC

Aklavik

A hour east of Williams LK BC .in the rain forrest . I have a like new metal shaper 4000 lbs sitting in Port Coquitlam. I'm desperate to find a place to store it for a couple months . Can't get it in to my homestead til may long weekend also a big 1895 flat belt drill press frame . I stripped the drill press . Have 80percent of parts home . Reaching out .

Aklavik

Hello from the Kootenays.

Is there a story behind your username?

View attachment 21848
Aklavik is the town the mad trapper is buried in . Between Inuvik and tuktoyaktuk I worked and lived in tuk .Inuvik deline etc fixing heavy equipment .generators etc etc .it's a seldom used name . Unlike Dave . Try and get Dave or any other common user name in 2022. U have to add twenty numbers and 6 underscores . And even then it's iffy .aklavik works first time everytime

Rauce

Ultra Member
Aklavik is the town the mad trapper is buried in . Between Inuvik and tuktoyaktuk I worked and lived in tuk .Inuvik deline etc fixing heavy equipment .generators etc etc .it's a seldom used name . Unlike Dave . Try and get Dave or any other common user name in 2022. U have to add twenty numbers and 6 underscores . And even then it's iffy .aklavik works first time everytime
I’d like to get up there some day, my dad was born in aklavik. My grandfather lived up there for about 20 years

Aklavik

That's super cool .there is a year round round road from Inuvik to tuk now but only a winter road to aklavik ..shoot me a email il send u some pics this evening of the ice road .very hearty pioneer types there back in the day .Firth girls McPherson's etc . Jonas in aklavik is a character never had a job .lived his entire life hunting and selling grizzlies polar bears sheep and goats to taxidermists in Ontario .I actualy met him in Whitehorse . Then worked with his cousins at the itkil gas plant by the aklavik turnoff

Rauce

Ultra Member
Yeah they were up there a long time ago, my grandfather was a missionary and WWI vet who went to the North in the 20’s. Died before I was born but he seems to have been a tough guy. My aunt sent me a summary of some of his journals recently, in the winter of ‘46 after moving to northern Quebec he took his dog team from Inukjuak north to Saluitt and then south all the way to Moosenee… 2300 miles.

Aklavik

Hard times make hard men . It was a different era .it ended in the 60s when the RCMP shot all the sled dogs. Been a down hill slide ever since