• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hello from Langdon A.B.

wharris1

william
Premium Member
I have been a member for a bit and thought I should say hello
I have been a hobby metalworker for many years
my hobbies also include gunsmithing and knife making
my shop is equipped with a 9x42 knee mill 15x50 lathe 6x18 surface grinder mig tig and stick welders
so you could say I dont usually get bored
anyway hello to all of you
William

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome. After a few obligatory posts you'll be able to post some pics of you projects, shop, whatever.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Welcome, that makes two of us from Langdon. I lived in the town for 13 years and moved south to an acreage 10 years ago. I go through to get groceries and mail!

Good to know there is a surface grinder in the vicinity!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Cool setup William. Welcome aboard. Let's see some shop photos. Or what are you making?

wharris1

william
Premium Member
Cool setup William. Welcome aboard. Let's see some shop photos. Or what are you making?
hello John its a little tight for good photos but here it goes and the latest project is a front rifle rest that has a belt drive for eleavation (very smooth

Attachments

• 20200430_183200.jpg
    20200430_183200.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200430_183218.jpg
    20200430_183218.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200430_183250.jpg
    20200430_183250.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200430_183316.jpg
    20200430_183316.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200430_183357.jpg
    20200430_183357.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 0
  • nancy rest .jpg
    nancy rest .jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 0

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice William.
You mentioned knife making. I'm not myself but find myself lusting over a belt grinder (sander) like what blade makers typically use. Do you have one yourself or have thoughts in that regard? Some guys are buying commercial units, others are completing from kits. I guess it varies by the individual, budget, tools & nature of work but anyways thought I'd ask. What about heat treating. Do you do your own or send it out?

wharris1

william
Premium Member
Very nice William.
You mentioned knife making. I'm not myself but find myself lusting over a belt grinder (sander) like what blade makers typically use. Do you have one yourself or have thoughts in that regard? Some guys are buying commercial units, others are completing from kits. I guess it varies by the individual, budget, tools & nature of work but anyways thought I'd ask. What about heat treating. Do you do your own or send it out?
My grinder is eerf (free backwards) it is a free set of plans you can get from an internet search it covers most metal components and you order your wheels ect. at this time I send out heat treat
I guess an oven would make a good project

wharris1

william
Premium Member
Nice gun rest did you dit it ?
yes they are a team collaboration we had tried this style of rest and liked them so one of our group is good with cad and made the drawings and i did the machine shop end to supply our team
now we sell as a fundraiser to help with our club expences (alberta schutzen guild)