• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

CA-BC Heat sink extrusion

British Columbia
Type
Metal

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I'm looking for something like this. I can get it from China but I'd have to wait more than a month or pay major shipping and it would end up close to $50. Anyone on the island have some scrap heat sink in their junk box? I want to mount two Sold State Relays for the Kiln. Minimum size should be about 60x70mm for each one.

The alternative is to cast a block and use a slitting saw to make fins.
1666649784032.png

Last edited:

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
This is what I currently have in my scrap bin but they are different sizes and mounting them in a safe manner is the issue. I have to switch both legs of the 220VAC since the elements are 110VAC and referenced to the neutral.

SSR_Heatsinks.jpg

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Our local auction house quite often has stacks of old workstations and servers go through. If you've got one of those around you might find something you could use in there.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Slow boat from AliExpress? One comes with a complimentary motor fan lol

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-10-24 10.52.29 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-10-24 10.52.29 PM.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-2022-10-24 10.53.26 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-10-24 10.53.26 PM.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Slow boat from AliExpress? One comes with a complimentary motor fan lol
Yeah, the problem is I want it yesterday. I have a couple of heatsinks in my shopping basket already. It's started raining here so I can break out the foundry furnace and there are enough projects on the go that I could probably wait for a proper heat sink extrusion that arrives late November or even mid December.

Further manufacturing for my client is now on hold until mid-January because of component shortages which means I'm looking forward to finishing some other projects.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Digikey has several, one of which might work. They cannot do yesterday delivery, but I find in Ontario that if I order before noon, it is here the next day, for $8 shipping, although that might have gone up. I have not ordered for a while. The chart is sortable by any of the columns so pick your next priority to make it easier to choose from the 1300+ options. All of these items are in stock.

@jcdammeyer Mouser is a US company (Digikey competitor) but has an office in Waterloo.

Sayal.com is an electronics store (now with multiple branches).

There is another electronics supplier on Tomken south of Courtney Park in Mississauga.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
@ShawnR Thanks. I hadn't seen that particular model of heat sink when I searched Digikey.

@Degen Thanks. Never heard of Sayal.com. Latest Mouser invoices on Visa card last month was $3420 total. It would be way more but they keep shifting delivery of a Deutsch connector order so I won't be building anything now until late January.

Trouble is for hobby stuff is I'm... how do you say it... frugal? At $17.61 each I can buy a block of aluminum from Metal Supermarket down the street from me and make my own with the slitting saw. I was hoping more for something in the surplus catagory for $5 to $10.

I think I'll mount an SSR on one of the surplus heat sinks in the photos I posted and just wire it up as an extension cord for a 1500W space heater. Then see how warm it gets. Then I can decide if I want to make my own, how many fins etc. Then if need be put this project #42 on hold and order an extrusion from China.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm surprised your ssr's didn't come with heatsinks

Anyways I have 2 40a ssr's in my powder coat oven running 5100w totall (both legs of 220, 2 2585w elements in parallel) and these are the ones the came with, and seem adequate, 15$ for 3.....

Shiphose Solid State Relay Heat Sink,3PCS Aluminum Heatsink PID Temperature Controller Heat Sink for Solid State Relay and SSR Radiator Module Black for SSR-10,25,40A https://a.co/d/89MKj7y

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

Anyways I have 2 40a ssr's in my powder coat oven running 5100w totall (both legs of 220, 2 2585w elements in parallel) and these are the ones the came with, and seem adequate, 15$ for 3.....

Shiphose Solid State Relay Heat Sink,3PCS Aluminum Heatsink PID Temperature Controller Heat Sink for Solid State Relay and SSR Radiator Module Black for SSR-10,25,40A https://a.co/d/89MKj7y
Thanks. Should be here Friday.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member

Shiphose Solid State Relay Heat Sink,3PCS Aluminum Heatsink PID Temperature Controller Heat Sink for Solid State Relay and SSR Radiator Module Black for SSR-10,25,40A https://a.co/d/89M