• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Harrison L5A Steady Rest

Proxule

Ultra Member
Folks with such pretty machines are not allowed to ask for extra help or items!
Sorry

:p

Hats off to you, Can you share the rebuild with us?

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice looking lathe. There is a recent thread on this forum about making a rest for another machine that might inspire you.

gengen

well, believe it or not I did find this at an auction in the corner of a barn. (this is what it looked like when I spotted it) did pretty much everything except take the headstock off the bed. I did rebuild the clutch also. I was lucky everything was still in pretty good shape just needed some tender lovin. I completely stripped, primed, painted. I have 7 different lathe that I have pretty much redone, but this one is at the top of my list for rigid, and a stout machine. It will hog some chips if needed.

gengen

Folks with such pretty machines are not allowed to ask for extra help or items!
Sorry

:p

Hats off to you, Can you share the rebuild with us?
Have lots of pics but can't get them downloaded on here, having trouble with file size.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Have lots of pics but can't get them downloaded on here, having trouble with file size.
This is the thread were a member makes a fallow / steady rest.

As for pictures, I use google drive or image dump.

Message me directly and I will assist you if need be.

Thanks for sharing!

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Admins can weigh in but I don't think we have 'auto-sizing' to reduce the fie size of what cameras typically export? Some sites do that, others don't. For web viewing, size can (and generally should be) smaller.
I reduce mine (with photo editing app) & it posts here just fine. I think many free apps do this quite routinely but I typically use the same product so cant recommend.

The photo services are fine as long as the link remains intact. But I think if you shuffle pictures or folders in the future that causes dead link issues? I'm less familiar there. Some of photo/storage services in the past have altered their prices, went belly up or whatever. So people terminate & picture links no longer works. The advantage of posting directly here is it stays here, unless you choose to remove it for whatever reason.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Admins can weigh in but I don't think we have 'auto-sizing' to reduce the fie size of what cameras typically export? Some sites do that, others don't. For web viewing, size can (and generally should be) smaller.
I reduce mine (with photo editing app) & it posts here just fine. I think many free apps do this quite routinely but I typically use the same product so cant recommend.

The photo services are fine as long as the link remains intact. But I think if you shuffle pictures or folders in the future that causes dead link issues? I'm less familiar there. Some of photo/storage services in the past have altered their prices, went belly up or whatever. So people terminate & picture links no longer works. The advantage of posting directly here is it stays here, unless you choose to remove it for whatever reason.

Peter is right. No autosizing on here.

Peter is also right about downsizing yourself before uploading.

I can't speak for all photo services, but most will keep the link alive even after shuffling around.

My advice is to resize your photos to something around 1 Mb or less and then upload them here directly using the "attach files" function. Lots and lots of ways to resize photos - far too many to discuss here.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I never used to have to resize pictures in order to post and assumed that was done by the forum software. Something has changed.

Yes, the great crash of Christmas 2022 seems to have limited the max size of our uploads somehow. Worse, the max size seems to vary for reasons we don't understand.

Josh has his hands full right now. I'm sure it will get fixed in time. Patience is appreciated.

All I can recommend for now is smaller file sizes. That has worked for me (and many others) so far.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
On any social forum I have always resampled and resized to minimize file size. I conisder it the polite thing to do. On HM, we have a paid-for resizer that goes through the database and resizes all of the photos older than 6 months. only once in a while does it ruin the value of the photo.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Awesome refurb on that Harrison.

Here is a steady rest I made for my Colchester Master 2500. There are many other designs that work just as well.

gengen

Awesome refurb on that Harrison.

Here is a steady rest I made for my Colchester Master 2500. There are many other designs that work just as well.

That's one super nice steady you made there....Nice design

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
On any social forum I have always resampled and resized to minimize file size. I conisder it the polite thing to do. On HM, we have a paid-for resizer that goes through the database and resizes all of the photos older than 6 months. only once in a while does it ruin the value of the photo.

This is a very healthy outlook. I love the way you think.

I would do it more often if it were easier. My normal practice is to take a bigger picture than I need and then crop it down to what I want to show in the photo. Cropping automatically down sizes the image.

When I can't do that, I will use an advanced editor to downsize the image directly like you desctibe. I don't like to do that though because it always overwrites the original image unless I copy it first. Most of the time I don't care.

Either way, it gets the job done.

If you are using a desktop PC Windows 10 has resize and cropping functions built in to the photos app. I used to use a simple old photo editor I loved until it got so old it was no longer compatible with the new Windows.