• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Harris AL-BRAZE 1070

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Has anyone used this product? Interested to see the applications & hear any comments.

Aluxcor is another option but its a fluxcore wire, maybe a bit more specialized, higher cost kits

Rauce

Ultra Member
I have not but I’ve looked into it. Some of the comments I’ve read is that it’s difficult to use. The filler is liquid at a temperature very close to the melting point of the base metal. No colour change like steel to help with heat control either, if you’re not careful your base material slumps into a puddle.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks. Yes that's the tricky bit about aluminum isn't it. No visual feedback until its flowing river. I've dabbled just a bit with silver soldering (brazing) on steel just with my propane torch, Harris flux & SS. I know, more forgiving on multiple fronts. I was initially apprehensive about not blowing through the magic flux state of glassy clear, but it was actually semi-controllable. Now I was also able to get away with laying solder bits around the joint rather than the dab method, so maybe that helped. As soon as the flux went glassy, in went the solder, so just back off the heat. I'm hoping the aluminum equivalent might behave similarly. I found it at a CDN supplier for $25, maybe I will gamble some R&D dollars. It would be for smallish components.

I've seen guys do repairs on aluminum heat exchanger tubes & the likes. I'm sure there must be experience & hand skill involved, but (the rods) is pretty much what they all use. Now I did hear they pulled a bunch off the market or phasing it out based on some ingredients proven to be bad to snort or lick. If the new stuff is better or worse or same I cant say.

Last edited:
I have played with brazing Aluminium and have done a touch of TIG also. They have one common tell (at least in my eyes) that the aluminium has gone plastic (ie just before melt) is the there is a slight change in shine (greyness) and a slight skinning. Any more heat....well its a hole.

TIG it was easier to spot and control heat, but once you see it its visible and the same with a torch.

I'm not sure that these methods (with a torch) are truly brazing but closer to welding, professional welders can best comment here.

Rauce

Ultra Member
It’s definitely Brazing, done properly the base material isn’t melting. The filler is an aluminum alloy that melts at a slightly lower temp and wets out on the aluminum. The job of the flux I assume is to help remove/stop formation of the oxide layer for that wetting to occur.

There is torch welding of aluminum but that’s a different animal.

I fabricate bicycle frames and on steel I generally tig the big tube joints and then the small bosses and fittings are easiest to just silver braze.

I also build with aluminum and tig welding those little bosses is very tricky, which is why I looked into aluminum brazing. I know that it’s SOP for aluminum frames made overseas. I’ve been meaning to give it a go but haven’t gotten around to it.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Found it here but haven't input my address to shipping cost. The flux in kit is powder form to be mixed with water as paste or coated heated wire. Anyways I assume should not incur ant haz shipping dinger fee at that volume

Yes, its brazing, from the Harris spec sheet
Melts below the melting point of brazeable aluminum base metals