Hardy Hardy Hardy Hole!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
The inexpensive 60kg blue boy is now mounted and level. Trimming the stump was a bit of fun - rough with the chainsaw and level with the router running on some level 2x4s.

And then I failed to drop a Hardy tool through the hole, which is a shy 1/8" smaller than my current anvil. Words were said.

So, do I find a way to expand this Hardie Hole, or do take the 2x72 to all my Hardy shanks? The new anvil is just shy of 1 1/4", the old one just over. I'll probably grind one of my less-loved tools and see if I tolerate the looser fit in the old anvil.

Attachments

• PXL_20230714_010040443.jpg
    PXL_20230714_010040443.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20230713_204607598.jpg
    PXL_20230713_204607598.jpg
    761.5 KB · Views: 19

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
If it were me, I'd want them to all fit interchangeably, so I'd consider some time with a bandfile and file a good investment of time that will pay dividends later on. Sounds like you're close enough that it should take long. If you don't have a band file, you can justify buying one for this, Even a cheap one, they're really handy :)

If you've got a good steady hand, and trust yourself, some carbide burrs in a die grinder will do the bulk of the job

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
If it were me, I'd want them to all fit interchangeably, so I'd consider some time with a bandfile and file a good investment of time that will pay dividends later on. Sounds like you're close enough that it should take long. If you don't have a band file, you can justify buying one for this, Even a cheap one, they're really handy :)

If you've got a good steady hand, and trust yourself, some carbide burrs in a die grinder will do the bulk of the job
Ok, cheapest belt file ordered for $59. And a lifetime supply of belts for another $20.
You're right - I'd rather keep the shanks as is - I really don't like the slop the first try gained when I took it down.

trevj

Ultra Member
Dunno, maybe it's just me, but rather than make the hole match up, I would tend to just make up some hardy tooling as needed, that fits the new anvil.

Pretty easy to taper some square stock for a nice fit. Weld a 4-5 inch long piece of Old Chevy spring to the shank, put a single sided bevel on it, and you have a cut-off hardy in a few minutes!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Dunno, maybe it's just me, but rather than make the hole match up, I would tend to just make up some hardy tooling as needed, that fits the new anvil.

Pretty easy to taper some square stock for a nice fit. Weld a 4-5 inch long piece of Old Chevy spring to the shank, put a single sided bevel on it, and you have a cut-off hardy in a few minutes!
The only real challenge is the "Old Chevy spring". Our scrap yards are crap - only one even comes close to allowing any picking through, and the idea that I can walk out of there with anything useful without having hauled in a grinder and half a workshop to diassemble the rusted automobiles is laughable.
So the stack of heavier stock at the cabin grows slowly. My neighbor clearing his lot has been a bit of a bonanza, but mostly for angle and square tube. Still looking to strike gold on some drill rod around here somewhere. hah.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
I should add that the little belt-file has been doing yeoman service. I'm stubborn enough that most of my tools now fit the new hardy hole. Between that and some tooling I've been making up for my little anyang power hammer, it's starting to feel productive in there.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
What sized Anyang do you have? I've just begun my journey into blacksmithing, but have caught the bug big time, and can see a power hammer in my future. I'll be building a forging press shortly, as soon as I finish scrounging a few more parts/material for it. and then a power hammer after that. Either a tire hammer, or an air hammer. I'm undecided right now. Unless a good deal on a commercial offering presents itself in the meantime.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
What sized Anyang do you have?
I have the 15kg/34lbs one. Smallest they make - most of my work is small-scale - furniture hardware, hinges, pintles, etc. And I have to run off-grid, which at first was really straining my electrical infrastructure. Now that I've invested in 3-phase motors everywhere, not so much.
As I use it more, I can imagine doing the upgrade to the 30kg/68lbs. Heck, maybe even the 48kg/106lbs, if I can convince myself I can run a 5HP motor off my solar.
Allthough I'm likely to get an induction forge going before then. Getting off the propane dependency would reduce how often we need to barge propane over here.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Off grid would certainly present some challenges running some bigger equipment I imagine. I could see a treadle or fly press being useful in your situation too. Or just run a boiler and an old steam hammer :D

trevj

Ultra Member
The only real challenge is the "Old Chevy spring". Our scrap yards are crap - only one even comes close to allowing any picking through, and the idea that I can walk out of there with anything useful without having hauled in a grinder and half a workshop to diassemble the rusted automobiles is laughable.
So the stack of heavier stock at the cabin grows slowly. My neighbor clearing his lot has been a bit of a bonanza, but mostly for angle and square tube. Still looking to strike gold on some drill rod around here somewhere. hah.
Talk nice to the guys at the local brakes and shocks shops to see if you can scrounge up some shafts from shock absorbers. Good high carbon steel, and make a great chisel! Same with the smaller mechanics shops, for a fish in the scrap dumpster for flat and coil spring stock.

For heavier flat stock springs, look at the places that fix dump trucks, or logging trucks, if any in your area. BIG flat springs! Battery grinders with zip disks beats heck outta blowing through old U-bolts, with a splitting maul (done that!)

@Dan Dubeau, steam is a great way to get badly hurt, unless you are really well financed! Especially gyppo steam operations! Better to run a generator, or even a car engine on a lineshaft as motive power. 3 phase gensets either go very dear, at auction, or almost free, on my observation.

While I can appreciate pride of ownership, and pride of accomplishment as far as long term use tools goes, a hardy tool is almost always a consumable, in my experience, and I'd rather be making product than tools, most of the time. It doesn't have to be fancy to work well, so even a flat slab of 1095 welded on to the Hardy shank will do. Scrounge (free) is a better price, but if you don't have sources...

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
steam is a great way to get badly hurt
Yes. And that's said in the context of a smithy, easily the most hurty hobby I've yet taken up.

VFDs have changed *everything* about how I think about my off-grid workshop. No big induction load to start the motors, easy variable-speed drive. Now diving properly into remote controls for them which seem to be the right answer. Next is to re-power my 30" bandsaw. Debating whether to go 2HP or 3HP (hah, is there a debate?).

I've done a pile of folded-stock "stuff the hardy hole" tools. Most of those are being replaced (or reworked) with power hammer accessories now, as I use them. But a bunch of little swages, a few cut-offs, and bending jigs all need to fit this new anvil. Though I put the old anvil behind me a couple of steps, and it sure was handy to have a second hardy tool set up there. Not necessary, but handy.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
My steam comment was mostly tongue in cheek regarding the big old steam hammers now scrapped, converted to air, or shipped to china/india. Hence the smily face. While I don't know a whole lot about steam, I do know steam is extremely dangerous, and not something to be playing with, especially at that level. It's dangerous enough at the live steam/scale engine level.

Ironman

Ultra Member
125psi air and 125 psi steam are equally dangerous, they are a form of stored energy like a battery or dynamite.

trevj

Ultra Member
125psi air and 125 psi steam are equally dangerous, they are a form of stored energy like a battery or dynamite.
I'd be way happier with 125 PSI air in my shop, than steam. When an air line blows, it does not carry with it the risk of a BLEVE (Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion, IIRC) as the volume of water instantaneously flashes to steam!

Steam power was the very first to become Federally Regulated in the US of A, as a result of many really horrific steam explosions, and the deaths they caused. Riverboats, as well as Locomotives.

Yeah, Dan, I see that, but it still isn't something to be trifled with. In the Blacksmiths shop context, there are lots of self contained Air Hammers out there, as well as still a fair few of the various Helve and Power hammers, well under the size range that Paul is looking at.