• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Hangar door suggestions

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
lol..yes...a slipper actually. Came with the plane. Something to block the air intake from critters nesting, but it has been such a conversation starter, I might just keep it.

Remove before flight.

;)
I bet it is a conversation starter! However I can't imagine it would be very effective at keeping critters from nesting there, if they can get up there they surely would appreciate the cozy nesting material.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Thanks for the interest. I know this is not an aviation forum but also that there are some pilots here, so, hopefully, a bit of interest.

Cheers,
Not an aviation forum but as an aviator (builder/pilot) I hope there's room in the "Active Projects" space for updates & mods to the plane and hanger.

The plane must qualify as a metal working project, I know I've machined/fabricated various things for ours too.

I'm keeping an eye out for your progress.

D:cool:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
lol....

It is a 2 seater, tandem aka front and back seating, like a Piper cub aircraft

Certification is a pilot's license. Nothing special about the plane. Any single engine private or rec license will suffice. Not ultralight though.

Range depends on winds. ie at no wind conditions, landing on fumes, hopefully at an airport, would be about 600 miles in 4 hours. Probably more but I would not even go that far. Bladder will want a break and the back a stretch after sitting in it for that long. In-cabin service sucks. I won't know how comfortable or uncomfortable it is till next season, probably. Upholstery is on the to do list.

It should easily cruise around 150 mph, more like 150 knots. When Jeff (seller) brought it here last week, he sent me a photo of his GPS showing 187 knots ground speed. Probably a bit of a tail wind. Regina to Thunder Bay was 4 hours in the air.

Cargo is only about 50 lbs and it goes behind a panel behind the rear passenger.

For aerobatics, loops, rolls, wingovers, just basic maneuvers, which will be more than I will be comfortable with! Not continuous inverted flight though. Fuel and oil system not designed for that but as long as the maneuvers maintain a positive G, fluids will still flow. I see them as confidence builders and to teach how to get out of adverse conditions rather than something I will be doing for fun, but I never know what I will be interested in come next week so time will tell. The engine is a Lycoming O-360 at 180 hp. Gross weight on the plane is 1500 lbs. Attached is a screen shot of some of the specs from the kit manufacturer's website.

Thanks for the interest. I know this is not an aviation forum but also that there are some pilots here, so, hopefully, a bit of interest.

Cheers,
I meant to ask but there was a lot going on- the sections/panels held on with screws- do they go into a captive nut or just a sheet metal screw? Are they torqued to spec?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Are you able to put any anti icing on the wings or is it for fairer weather use?
A guy I worked with flipped his Cessna in the wind due to wind cracking/busting his neck but he’s ok still flying.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I meant to ask but there was a lot going on- the sections/panels held on with screws- do they go into a captive nut or just a sheet metal screw? Are they torqued to spec?
Depends on the application. Most of an RV is solid riveted. There are kits that use 2 piece or pulled rivets but usually an aircraft quality one. There are some pulled rivets on an RV but used where something might have to come off ie a fiberglass wing tip. Or where it is not possible to get a bucking bar into at the time of construction.

As for the screws, many are stainless steel sheet metal screws. Some have the same head but are machine screws going into a "nutplate" which is flush riveted to the receiving metal flange. And then, in critical areas, lock nuts of various designs and/or lock wire, depending on how critical the fastener is. And yes, some, many, torqued to a spec.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Are you able to put any anti icing on the wings or is it for fairer weather use?
A guy I worked with flipped his Cessna in the wind due to wind cracking/busting his neck but he’s ok still flying.
It can be used in general aviation, but that would imply an instrument rated aircraft, anti icing equipment, etc. Sometimes, if the day is clear, just to get the morning frost off but it is messy. Not fun. I fly for fun. I had wing covers for all of my other aircraft so just take them off and go flying. My hangar is at a grass strip so this plane only flies in the summer. With a wooden prop, I won't keep it outside. And this one has no insulation so not as comfy as a Cessna or Piper or any of the other certified aircraft. One could insulate it but that adds weight and we don't have a lot of room for "comfort weight". I would rather have fuel. ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Getting a pilots lic was something I always wanted, but colour blindness basically stopped that.

I think those rules have changed too. I know a fellow who is totally colour blind. He only sees shades of grey. He has a helicopter pilots license.