• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Hand Shaper - This Is Really Cool.......

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can't even imagine...

you'd definitely get real good at sharpening your HSS based on effort required..

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
we applaud excellence, no matter it’s form

that being said, and I’m a Luddite who uses hand tools often rather than power tools, that particular exercise is insane.

Could you hand tool a dovetail that fits a QCTP?

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Dovetails are easy to overshoot ...a few thou makes a big difference. Maybe this guy is onto something...

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
Could you hand tool a dovetail that fits a QCTP?
Gosh, I’d love to, but my current unfinished project schedule has me booked until 2027-ish.

In preparation for my snotty answer, I looked up photos of Maudslay’s 1801 screwcutting lathe. It has dovetails on the compound, probably done with chisels, files, and scraping.

Attachments

• C211A363-214E-4D65-BD3C-53E313BE3AC3.jpeg
    C211A363-214E-4D65-BD3C-53E313BE3AC3.jpeg
    1,023.6 KB · Views: 8

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
On the other end of the shaper scale, Cutting Edge Engineering just posted a video of his Klopp 1000H shaper. Some big ships falling from that machine.
Some time ago i printed plans for a hand powered shaper, no ides where i got the plans from or what i did with them.