• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Hand Cleaner Experiments

Tips/Techniques
I've tried to buy Sunlight in Calgary - but I cannot find it. (even the off-brand and discount stores). Where in Ontario can it be found?

Over the years I haven't used anything better than the lanolin based "Swarfega" (UK name). A licensed version was made in Brantford, Ontario, but I didn't keep any of the containers. The company doesn't seem to exist any more. (sad face)

I'm going to track down a bottle of WORX.

So far, the pumice GoJo is working for me, but with the citrus and pumice, it is a little harsh. The non-pumice version doesn't clean my hands very well.

I've tried to buy Sunlight in Calgary - but I cannot find it. (even the off-brand and discount stores). Where in Ontario can it be found?

Over the years I haven't used anything better than the lanolin based "Swarfega" (UK name). A licensed version was made in Brantford, Ontario, but I didn't keep any of the containers. The company doesn't seem to exist any more. (sad face)

So far, the pumice GoJo is working for me, but with the citrus and pumice, it is a little harsh. The non-pumice version doesn't clean my hands very well.
You can't find sunlight dish soap? I thought it was everywhere.

Apparently Sunlight Dish Soap has been discontinued.

Best hand cleaner I have ever found is called Worx. Not only does it clean your hands well, it does so without drying them out. The more common citrus based stuff dries out and cracks my skin. Best of all it's from a Canadian company based in Calgary.
View attachment 52316
Worx for me too! I even splashed out for a wall mounted dispenser with "commercial" sized bottle. A little goes a long way and it doesn't damage the skin. Together with the Lee Valley surgical brushes, it hasn't been foiled yet.

Boy, you guys use some fancy stuff....on the farm growing up, we used diesel fuel or gas, whatever was handier at the time. Ice cream pails were never thrown out, they all hit the farm yard, in machines or in the shop so we had one handy to swish our hands and arms up to the elbows ...and then a quick wipe with the same old rag that lasted at least a month before replacing...and then lunch or dinner!!

Boy, you guys use some fancy stuff....on the farm growing up, we used diesel fuel or gas, whatever was handier at the time. Ice cream pails were never thrown out, they all hit the farm yard, in machines or in the shop so we had one handy to swish our hands and arms up to the elbows ...and then a quick wipe with the same old rag that lasted at least a month before replacing...and then lunch or dinner!!
Same. Then Tide laundry powder to help find the cuts and nicks.

I reserve the diesel oil for serious thick grease, lipstick, and skunk piss. One of my tractors had a slow drip leak that I collected in a 5gal pail. It's perfect for HD cleaning jobs. Didn't know I'd have to save it for when my sunlight runs out.

Results of not very extensive tests of hand cleaners.

Favorite hand cleaner Gojo Orange
I have a bottle of the Gojo Orange Smooth on the way out of the shop, along with a gallon pump bottle of water (no sink in the basement) for a final step:
Chazz Shop Hand Cleaning.jpeg

Power user tip: Dawn Platinum spray is exactly the same as Dawn Ultra liquid, just diluted 5:1 with water. So equivalent price of $50/ litre as a spray vs. $3.80/ litre as liquid.

View attachment 52310
Ignoring coloring, scent, stabilizers and similar components, the liquid & spray do have a different blend of surfactants & solvents so they are slightly different.

If you want the "Power of Dawn" in a hand cleaner I'd suggest the foam at a price between the two and more convenient (and if you want you can refill the dispenser with diluted liquid, but sometimes this doesn't pump/foam as well). Foam soaps work better as hand cleaners for me:
Dawn Platinum Foam.jpeg

Back