• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Grizzly metal lath great deal... but with a cracked head stock

JReimer

Hi,
I happened on a Grizzly G0776 (or similar) lathe that I could get for virtually free. The big catch is it tipped over in transportation and is quite damaged. the lead screw is bent and a few levers are bokken as well as the cross slide screw. I think there is some damage in the gear box and half nut too. The big problem is that the head stock is cracked and oil just drains out. The guy that offered it to me has tried on other machines to braze the head casting but it just explodes (really cheap castings apparently- bad metal). I imagine I would have to find a replacement?

I am going to look at it on Monday or Tuesday and being a novice at this I am wondering at what point is this a rite off and where is it still fixable? Also what should I check for? Any advice is appreciated as I am new to all this.
sim machine https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-13-x-40-gunsmithing-lathe-with-dro/g0776

Thanks from Chilliwack BC

Run away, and don't look back. Sounds like a write off to me.
hahahaha, yeah that is what I probably should do. but its hard when the price is right :). but I did a check on some of the parts that I know I will need (on grizzly website) and it looks like about 1,000-1,500 in parts. That being said, a similar lathe used and older is still going to be about $2-3k. thus the dilemma of feeling like I could fix it. I guess if the bed is twisted, that wouldn't be fixable. ... I know I shouldn't but still debating it.

There are better ways to spend your time, but if you *really* like rebuilding 'lost causes' then go for it.

Yes it can be a great deal for
someone with experience. However the term novice says it all, don't go down this nightmare until you are ready as it will be a money pit and waste your time.

This is not a deal or savings. I have a good idea how to deal with the issues but my time (lots of it) and money are not worth it.

My suggestion - run, do not walk away from this. You’ll spend thousands on parts, hundreds of hours of labour, and then you’ll discover the bed can’t be trued to a new headstock and/or the bed is twisted

Sounds like you’re gonna go for it. I sympathize. What I would say is make your own replacement parts (practice!) and don’t put a lot of money into it. Make a load line. $250. Then give up.

Could the crack be fixed to not leak with epoxy, caulking, something?

If it really is not good then you can ditch it without much pain. I don’t think though it’s going to be an accurate tool ever. But a place to start ?

there is that guy on you tube… turnwright . He has videos on straightening shafts and lead screws and he even fixed our own @PeterT lead screw. By the time you’re done all this you will know what your second lathe should be. I’m in the minority here but maybe the money is a big problem and time is not?

I guess if it's free you could get it and evaluate what all needs to be fixed more closely and if undo-able you can bail and get "your money back".

The effort in loading and unloading just to reload and unload to dump, alone makes it a no go, specially for a novice.

If you're poor but have the skills and tools, its a different story.

This is one of those projects that seem like you'll learn a lot (not not) definitely. But it also one of those that may teach you to hate this hobby with a passion (more likely the case).

As others have said....

Run @JReimer RUN!

the lead screw is bent and a few levers are bokken as well as the cross slide screw. I think there is some damage in the gear box and half nut too. The big problem is that the head stock is cracked and oil just drains out.
With that level of damage, it sounds like it didn't just tip over. Maybe fell off a fork lift or the back of a truck/trailer?

If the headstock is distorted, it is hard to imagine repairing that satisfactorily. If the spindle is bent, that too would be a killer problem.

Craig

Hey you are not me and I am not you. My first thoughts are:

Where is this crack and can it be epoxied?

What are the parts worth? I am sort of with @6.5 Fan on that. Surely the chuck(s), faceplate, tailstock, gears, motor, pulleys, shafts, keys, lathe tools, tool post, spindle, etc are worth removing and selling. I don't view moving it as being too much hassle. I move big stuff all the time. What's left can either be stock or taken to the scrap yard for a little cash too.

Hey if you can get the thing for almost free what do you have to lose really ? a bit of time loading and unloading.....and if it doesnt work you can always part it out, chucks, steady/fallow, tailstock, all the gears (im sure there is someone out there in ebay land who had a bad crash and maybe needs a threading gear), it all worth money

my advice would be to concentrate on fixing the headstock issue before you spend any real money on it, a guy could pile 1000$ into other parts only to figure the headstock is completely pooched

Back