Grinding wheel adaptor Question

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
Question is, are all adaptors for surface grinders the same taper ? I got several adaptors with the B&S #13 but they are all LH thread. If I want to use the right hand end of the spindle I need a RH thread adaptor. I went to the mcmaster Carr web site and their adaptors are listed for all surface grinders. I hate to assume anything, so can someone tune me in?

Chipper5783

No. There are smaller grinders or larger grinders and they will have smaller or larger spindles - that's obvious, we won't talk about that. Sticking to the small grinders, there is some variation (the Sopko web site / catalog lists a bunch). My 618 surface grinder and Cinci T&C grinder have very similar spindles, I believe the taper is the same but the way the arbor is secured to the spindle is. The SG uses the small nut and the T&C uses a socket head cap screw (but not a standard one). To answer your question - maybe. The Cinci T&C grinder uses the same arbor on each end of the spindle.

garageguy

Super User
Premium Member
@Chipper5783 I've done more looking since my post and found that Cinci has different adaptors. Mine has the slotted nut and I think the 1" large end taper. will keep digging. Thanks for the replies.