• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Green Light Trigger For A Motorcycle

terry_g

Ultra Member
Years ago I bought a "green light trigger " for my motorcycle.The green light trigger is a very strong magnet in a plastic
housing that is attached to the underside with a zip tie. It worked great! Motorcycles don't always trigger the inductive
loops under the asphalt at intersections so the light will not change for a motorcyclist like it will for a car.
The last one was on a couple bikes before a rock took it out I suspect. It was zip tied to the skid plate of my KLR650.
I searched the internet and there are no hits for green light trigger. Long gone and forgotten I guess.
I searched my local hick town for magnets and at Canadian Tire I found a five pack of rare earth magnets.
I made a housing to attach them to the bottom of the skid plate. I will update how well it works in the near future.

The magnets and a piece of plastic I had in my scrap metal pile.
rAqZJZ6.jpg

Milling the plastic housing.
N8zsWOK.jpg

The finished housing. Any steel getting within three inches is immediate sucked into the magnets.
5hLbOPl.jpg

I drilled and bolted it to the skid plate. Its crooked but no one will know.
1BotE3y.jpg

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Years ago I bought a "green light trigger " for my motorcycle.The green light trigger is a very strong magnet in a plastic
housing that is attached to the underside with a zip tie. It worked great! Motorcycles don't always trigger the inductive
loops under the asphalt at intersections so the light will not change for a motorcyclist like it will for a car.
The last one was on a couple bikes before a rock took it out I suspect. It was zip tied to the skid plate of my KLR650.
I searched the internet and there are no hits for green light trigger. Long gone and forgotten I guess.
I searched my local hick town for magnets and at Canadian Tire I found a five pack of rare earth magnets.
I made a housing to attach them to the bottom of the skid plate. I will update how well it works in the near future.

The magnets and a piece of plastic I had in my scrap metal pile.
rAqZJZ6.jpg

Milling the plastic housing.
N8zsWOK.jpg

The finished housing. Any steel getting within three inches is immediate sucked into the magnets.
5hLbOPl.jpg

I drilled and bolted it to the skid plate. Its crooked but no one will know.
1BotE3y.jpg
Nor did I know about this as an issue for bikers. Thanks for the lesson.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice work Terry. I have the same problem with my KLR650. Might have to do the same thing.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Look great @terry_g !

Never thought much about motor bikes till you brought it up.

But man do I get annoyed at drivers who stop 50ft back from the line and then sit and sit and sit waiting for the light to change! I think some people just don't know about the loop or the cameras.