• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Got a new workbench.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
2016-01-30 11.54.28.jpg
Loving it.

SS top, 8' long. Propped up on 2x4 chunks so the beer fridge would fit within arms reach. :)

2016-01-30 14.22.34.jpg
Mid re-organization of the shop. It's tough moving some of these peices around solo. That air compressor is a cast iron joke to move alone. haha

Funny note, When I painted, I did so a measured distance from the ground. Now, I was careful to level the workbench, and see how un-level the floor in my shop/garage is. haha

JW

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
I wish we lived closer. I would have helped you move that air compressor. I was really struggling to remove and install the table on my milling machine this weekend by myself It really sucks moving heavy stuf by yourself. Nice work bench though.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Thanks guys, May take you all up on the offer of a helping hand in the coming weeks. I plan on buying a new compressor. Fingers crossed, haha.

JW

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice bench & nice layout. Tell us about the countertop. Is it entirely metal or metal sheet is somehow laminated onto plywood substrate? Did you get the frame that way or had it welded up to suit your requirements? I've been thinking about something similar one day - replacing kind of a legacy homebrew junky table. Right now my bench grinder & vise are on it so it has mounting holes & blind nuts etc. I was visualizing a replaceable top just in case my needs changed.

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Nice bench & nice layout. Tell us about the countertop. Is it entirely metal or metal sheet is somehow laminated onto plywood substrate? Did you get the frame that way or had it welded up to suit your requirements? I've been thinking about something similar one day - replacing kind of a legacy homebrew junky table. Right now my bench grinder & vise are on it so it has mounting holes & blind nuts etc. I was visualizing a replaceable top just in case my needs changed.

It's a SS sheet, over a 3/4" (or so) plywood top.
It's all prefab actually, "shop new age . com "

I couldn't afford a solid steel top at the moment, so this seemed like a good alternative, the way it's constructed it should be easy to replace the plywood should the need arise, and can always upgrade it to solid steel later.

I saw a smaller 4' model of this bench but with a bamboo top at Costco actually. Seemed good in store, but wanted to research.
When I found that the actual manufacturer had an 8' with SS top I was a pretty quick convert, as I was planning on filling an 8' space anyways.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
The sale is for online purchases only, but the lady at the service desk gave it to me for the sale price anyway.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I paid and walked out into the parking lot before I figured out- why was it so much? Then I went back in. I think they relented because I was going to return it.