• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Tool Good quality bearing/gear pullers?

Tool
After breaking yet another princess auto 3 jaw puller I want to know if any members have a suggestion for 2 or 3 jaw pullers that are decent quality - threads that dont strip out, puller arms that dont flex easily, etc.

I've looked at some OTC pullers in the past but the $$$'s always make me pause as I dont have any first hand experience with them and dont know anyone who does.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm convinced that OTC is really the same stuff as princess auto, I have a few things from them (but not a puller), if you didn't see the OTC sticker you wouldn't know the difference between that and a princess auto version, in other words save your money

I can't really recommend you a "good" 3jaw puller, I honestly thing they are junk for about 90% of things you try to use them for, I often just buy them to modify into what I actually need

Proto is my go to, I had decent luck with pro-point from princess, when or if it breaks just swap it out.
Or I make your own if its for some hing odd ball or extreme, Torch or plasma cut from 1 inch plate. If you break it I will send you a full set of pullers free. lol
I hate buying crap tools. I take generally very good care of my stuff, but when the metal used on the, say, threaded rods burrs up and peels apart with medium duty use I get frustrated fast. Not oddball needs generally. Just standard 2/3 jaw puller requirements. I also dont have a welder, mill, or plasma cutter. Lol.

Last edited:

Proxule

Ultra Member
I hate buying crap tools. I take generally very good care of my stuff, but when the metal used on the, say, threaded rods burrs up and peels apart with medium duty use I get frustrated fast. Not oddball needs generally. Just standard 2/3 jaw puller requirements. I also dont have a welder, mill, or plasma cutter. Lol.
This holds true for my tools I use for work, As I make a living from them, Or pretend to hah!
But for hobby use and general mickey mouse around the shop. Princess is not a bad option. Considering their return policy.

Got to get your self an oxygen tank and a bbq bottle of propane, At least you can heat, cut and braze with that.
200$ gets your a 220v 200amp ( ish ) stick welder on amazon.
As for the mill, I am in the same boat!

gluck

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
but when the metal used on the, say, threaded rods burrs up and peels apart with medium duty use

Are you using lubricant ? I liberally coat the threads on whattever puller I'm using with antisieze, makes a mess, but I've never had an problems with the threads galling up with hard repeated use

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
FWIW I've rented gear pullers from CDN Tire twice and have always been impressed by the quality. OTC brand but the big one they rent/sell seem decent.

boilerhouse

Ultra Member
Does CDN Tire rent? The only time I used a tool from them, they loaned it to me at no charge, but took my credit card info making me responsible for loss or damage. However that was a few years ago.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
T
Does CDN Tire rent? The only time I used a tool from them, they loaned it to me at no charge, but took my credit card info making me responsible for loss or damage. However that was a few years ago.
They charged me for the full cost of the tool both time. If I kept it the cost was $229. I returned it and was refunded in full.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
I really want to own my own *good quality* basic 2+3 jaw pullers

Thats this thread my man. ;)

Downwindtracker2

Pullers were millwright tools, so we used them a lot. Modifing, they were company tools after all and making them.. For three and two jaw pullers, PA Pro Point are more than good enough. It's when you need specialized jaws , that's when you find Proto makes them. Only shops can afford the full rack. I buy any affordable ones I find a flea markets and garage sales. I have even used a couple. OTC is Ottowo (sp) Tool Company . It's a town in the mid-west. It is , or at least was, industrial.

For three and two jaw pullers, PA Pro Point are more than good enough.
Sorry, but they are junk. The male and female threads gall and bind and strip. No more PA pullers for me. Please read my first post above.

I'll troll kijiji and FB marketplace for proto 2/3jaw pullers. I may even consider, based on recommendations here, using the neighbours RF40 mill and his lathe to make some off plans I found. At least I can select the metal quality.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Im going to ask again, but are you using lubricant on the threads, or just giving it all the ugga duggas dry ?

i have a few princess auto pullers, many years old, none of them have galled threads, ive broken the jaws before, but never had any problems with the threads.......im not endorsing the pa pullers, but you wearing the threads out of them on a regular basis is suspect

Proxule

Ultra Member
Im going to ask again, but are you using lubricant on the threads, or just giving it all the ugga duggas dry ?

i have a few princess auto pullers, many years old, none of them have galled threads, ive broken the jaws before, but never had any problems with the threads.......im not endorsing the pa pullers, but you wearing the threads out of them on a regular basis is suspect
Im equally curious.

A little from column A, a little from Column B. When working with, say, a stuck pulley on a motor shaft I'll put a little hi pressure grease on the threads.