• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Good Morning from Durham Region Ontario

Goldxxx

Good Morning, New Member here. Not really new to the metalworking hobby. I got into it as a way to try and repair some old air rifles and maybe try to earn a bit of side cash making parts. This allows me to justify to my Wife the cost of my hobby.
Starting out with a small manual Sherline lathe and milling machine. Graduated to to a Myford ML7 lathe for a while. (I regret selling the Myford) Now I have a 13 inch South Bend lathe that needs a bit of work. An Atlas horizontal mill. And a South Bend 7 inch shaper. I have been fortunate to adopt these machines for a while.
The 13 inch South Bend lathe is a bit of overkill but it was one of those buy it now situations. I made the mistake of selling the Myford to make room for the South Bend. Not something I would do again. The Myford was a beautiful lathe but it had size limitations. I should have made room or dismantled it and carried it to the basement workshop. I don’t have a heated garage so I’m not as motivated to work in the winter. I want to open up the headstock of the South Bend and replace the oiling felts.
The Atlas mill was a good purchase. I thought at the time I over payed for it. It came with almost every factory accessory except for a 1inch arbour. Now that I see the cost of the vintage stuff going through the roof I’m glad I didn’t haggle on the price.
The South Bend 7 inch Shaper is a gem. I traded it for a Drummond hand shaper. It works. It has a few minor issues. The main thing is that it has its original vice. I understand that this is important with the smaller bench top mills and shapers. I am still learning how to run it safely. It’s wonderful to watch while it does it’s thing. It puts a whole new angle on how parts can be made. And it’s forgiving because it’s slow.
I guess I am a bit of a tool hog. Always on the hunt for tooling. I try to upgrade my machines when I can. I like the hunt. I’m looking down the road in about 10 years or so when I officially retire. This way I should have most of my big purchases taken care of.
I’d like to focus my machining skills on some dedicated projects or machines. I can make parts and pieces for an existing machine if called upon but I’d like to see if I can start making something from scratch. Hopefully I’ve come to the right place. Robert

trlvn

Ultra Member
Welcome from Oakville. I know very little about horizontal mills. Would you consider posting some pictures of yours and the various accessories?

Craig