• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Getting down to brass tax

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
My goal is to make a new ACME nut for a 1"-5 LH. I bought a tap, and decided to cast my own billet. Our old house had solid brass door knobs (love the '90s!), and when we replaced them I kept the bag. 10.5 lbs of them.

As a mold/form I used a piece of 1 3/4" square oak railing baluster. I used my electric kiln and a sched-40 steel crucible.

Pictures to follow.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
19f4bdbfb41d0c154f58e555e33bfef6.jpg

cf543fadc4c7a226b4eeb83229f27064.jpg

97a36a20d02ef7c66edabd0ae85543fc.jpg

b06e4b591bc45fc5b69c553ee3c6ca3d.jpg

bf400722e879c1dbfdf5d096315b8f48.jpg

15cb6674b2429b0c7d9bf9961d8cbbce.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I need to do some casting myself but for a custom hammer that comes with replaceable heads. The heads were originally rawhide but I am planning something exotic like copper.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
A little charred on the outside, but nice and gold on the inside!

Lessons learned:

1. The difference between 1750F and 1250F (Aluminum) is noticeable.
  2. Respirator needed for future. Much gasing (Zinc I believe)
  3. Need to make a new cask -- this one started on fire

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Waiting to see the finished nut, should be a fun project. Question though, why did you replace the door knobs? Built my house in 1980 and the only knobs i have replaced are outside doors. Oh ya i bet it is a pink thing, must renovate.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Waiting to see the finished nut, should be a fun project. Question though, why did you replace the door knobs? Built my house in 1980 and the only knobs i have replaced are outside doors. Oh ya i bet it is a pink thing, must renovate.

Peach pastel colours, white stain on oak, with brass accents. 1980s 1990s for sure.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
The first blank. Sure dirties up the mill. How one forgets high school shop class.....

637c57db7184872448fffb7e9179b866.jpg

54df15dd3b64efb11d2a944c3df5833d.jpg

Last edited:

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Ok, wrecked the first blank...... drilled the hole to the major diameter instead of the minor...... brain fart.....

ae6dd940994a99094e8fecfa9da3d77c.jpg

Well , that was a good lesson in internal vs external dimensions...... embarrassing but I’ll likely not do it again

So, pieced off another blank and this time it drilled fine so I tapped it in the lathe (manually) , using the brake to hold the chuck still

The tap I purchased from McMaster Carr is pretty interesting . It is a “through tap” and the literature said to not reverse it as it uses progressive teeth

The first set of teeth cut narrow and deep, the second set widens out the cut

8dbe2aeaca426c645c9560d5ee718f0a.jpg

876bd71239705da0229b88de3a16c2a0.jpg

Taps great. A lot of elbow grease required

Final product is a 1-5tpi nut for my cnc mill z axis

97eaafe4bd1188c5c749497cb7ac2f8d.jpg

Just waiting for the final piece to dry (primer) then reassembly.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Looks good. I have seen where a guy melted down a bunch of brass cases, mostly 22rim fire and machined an AR lower.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Kevin> It is a “through tap” and the literature said to not reverse it as it uses progressive teeth

Good job there!

I've heard that about those lead screw type taps. Man, that would be a nail biter if things tighten, the brass starts squeaking & you are not supposed to back up to break the chips because it doesn't work that way. Other than maybe an air blast or cutting fluid, I guess wrench through it & hope things go as designed. I read an article where a guy tried to make his own special tap, several failed attempts (mostly with warpage in heat treat). He got them to tap but were never very crisp. always a it oversize. Eventually he sold a farm animal, bought the obscure tap new, made his nut plus 5 spares for his eventual grandkids, then flipped the tap on Ebay for a bit more than he paid because someone else had the same issue.

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
I need to do some casting myself but for a custom hammer that comes with replaceable heads. The heads were originally rawhide but I am planning something exotic like copper.
I have some 2" bushing bronze I could lop of some for you for your project you bring it home

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Yes copper headed hammers are a thing of beauty but the copper is almost as dear as gold. I have some 3" copper round bar I've been saving for some unknown project. I can't remember what I paid for it but I think that is because I've blocked out the price to avoid mental anxiety over the crazy price.