• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Getting back into RC flying (maybe)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looks like the nearest spot is 45-60 mins away.

Yea that's about the same for me without any major leg work for permissions and such

You just have to make a day of it, take a couple battery packs, a tailgate bbq for lunch, etc

I go out to one of the pluz's, little bit of light 4x4 ing, fly the rc for a bit, eat lunch, etc

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@PeterT Any of the pluz's in Alberta are fair game, they are crown land, just have to watch in fire fighting season, I think some R's pop up, bc has quite a bit more crown land that is not parks, but like David mentioned much of it is tree'd mountain terrain
If you can provide me something from CAR or any related Regs that support this Crown land issue, I'd appreciate it. To the best of my understanding, this is an Airspace issue, not a land permission/consent issue. Again, I am specifically talking RPAS here which is >250g. Sub-250 is slightly less onerous but still has restrictions. David's initial post was pertaining RC at a local model club so I just assumed his interest was mainstream RC. Very few conventional RC models are sub-250g although I'm sure they exist from certain outlets. Actually my DLG is. But when I ballast I'm over so I have TC registered my deadly drone arsenal to be compliant.

Parks is a definite no for all drones

Forest fires, are specifically prohibited but there is general reference to several other emergency type restrictions, which is what the pre-flight survey is about. For example Restrictions can pop up when a foreign dignitary rolls through town.
If CARs 601.04 and 601.15, as well as section 5.1 of the Aeronautics Act, prohibit for all “aircraft” the use of airspace, they therefore apply to micro RPAs because they are considered aircraft under the Aeronautics Act and the CARs. For more information, see RAC 2.8.6 and 2.9.2. Micro RPAs are therefore prohibited from entering the following zones without proper authorization: (a) Class F special-use restricted airspace CYR); (b) airspace over a forest fire area or over any area that is located within 5 NM of a forest fire area, or any airspace for which a NOTAM for forest fire aircraft operating restrictions has been issued; and...
A pilot that is found to have created a hazard either to aviation safety or to people on the ground is subject to an individual penalty of $1,000 and/or a corporate penalty of $5,000 (CAR 103,
Schedule II).

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm not sure you have a good understanding of airspace, g airspace is just about everywhere in Canada (with regards to the elevations flown for rc), the problem becomes land access and municipal by laws, not airspace, so much private land, and yes much crown land, in Alberta, are designated parks

Once your out of most citys (by laws), you only need to check the charts for aerodromes, the problem becomes land access at that point, that's where the crown land (that are not parks) comes into play, bc has lots of that, Alberta you're pretty much limited to the pluz's (crown land that is not park)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I asked my club contact about costs to get advanced RPAS certificate:

To get your Advanced Certificate you need to:

1. pass the online Advanced exam ( $10 per attempt)

2. and successfully pass a flight review

3. then you may apply for your Advanced Certificate. ( $25)

4. register you plane for operation in controlled airspace ( $10 per plane)

The cost for a Flight Review can vary between $300 and $400, depending on Flight School. Through our VRCMS Flight School we can provide a Flight Review to members at no charge.

Obviously I can study for the basic test myself. Once certified, presumably I could then fly a sub-250g fixed wing plane to get some air time. But how would I practice on the >250g <25kg plane if I have to be certified to operate one?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
@phaxtris Sorry I'm going to end the conversation here. I've provided several CAR/TC/AIM links & excerpts from the Regs. Its dry reading but should be sufficiently clear to you or anyone else. I've asked a few times now, but you have not provided any excerpts from applicable TC regulations regarding special exemptions involving Crown land. Land means Land, not airspace. Re flying above 400'AGL under RPAS, yes of course Class-G ceiling is higher. But 400'AGL is the RPAS ceiling without SFOC. NavCAN map showing Class G does not give you permission to fly above 400'AGL. For that you need SFOC (under RPAS).

If your drone is sub-250g this applies:
Pilots of micro RPAs are not subject to Subpart 1 of Part IX of the CARs, so they are not required to register and mark their RPAs or obtain a certificate to fly them. However, just like other pilots of RPAs of 250 g and above, they must adhere to CAR 900.06 and ensure they do not operate their RPA in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person. While there are no prescriptive elements of the regulation that inform the pilot how to accomplish this objective, there is an expectation that the pilot of a micro RPA should use good judgment, identify potential hazards, and take all necessary steps to mitigate any risks associated with the operation. This should include having an understanding of the environment in which the RPA pilot is operating, with particular
attention paid to the possibility of aircraft or people being in the same area. As a rule of thumb: (a) Maintain the micro RPA in direct line of sight. (b) Avoid flying your micro RPA above 400 ft above ground level (AGL). (c) Keep a safe lateral distance between your micro RPA and other people. (d) Stay far away from aerodromes, water aerodromes, and heliports. (e) Avoid flying near critical infrastructure. (f) Stay clear of aircraft at all times. (g) Conduct a pre-flight inspection of your micro RPA. (h) Keep the micro RPA close enough to maintain the connection with the remote controller. (i) Follow the manufacturer’s operational guidelines. (j) Avoid special aviation or advertised events. These guidelines will help you avoid flying in a negligent manner.

If your drone is >250g RPAS this applies.
Class G airspace exists in any space that is not Class A, B, C, D, E, or F. Class G airspace is uncontrolled and is considered the basic operating environment for RPAS, assuming the conditions regarding proximity to people, airports, and heliport are met. These will be discussed in RAC 3.2.14 and 3.2.35.

3.2.13 Maximum Altitude In uncontrolled airspace, RPAs are normally limited by regulation to a maximum altitude of 400 ft AGL or 100 ft above the tallest obstruction within 200 ft laterally (CAR 901.25). However, if a pilot is operating under an SFOC—RPAS, the conditions of the SFOC may state a maximum altitude higher or lower than 400 ft (CAR 903.01). In controlled airspace, the maximum altitude permitted for a specific flight will be determined by the ANSP; in most cases, this will be NAV CANADA. The RPA pilot must keep the RPA in VLOS at all times, regardless of the altitude allowed by the ANSP. The maximum altitude possible in VLOS depends on several factors including the RPA’s visibility, colour, size, etc. The vast majority of small RPAs are not visible at more than 400 ft AGL in good weather conditions.

1715220236813.png

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I've never once said anything about flying above 400 agl, I have no problems staying below that altitude, you are the one obsessed with flying above 400'

If you stay below 1200 you are in g airspace everywhere other than aerodromes at which point it becomes a land access/bylaw issue, 400' is well below 1200'

Yes your drone/RC can fly higher than that (400'), your car can drive faster than 110, doesn't mean you HAVE to in order to drive or fly your rc

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
This is a depressing thread to read. Makes me glad that I stuck with control line models.

Plus there’s something nice about feeling the model from your hand and it’s always 50’ or so away…

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
This is a depressing thread to read. Makes me glad that I stuck with control line models.

Plus there’s something nice about feeling the model from your hand and it’s always 50’ or so away…
I have to think that the advent of drones was the tipping point for RC flying. Too many idiots doing stupid things.

I’m actually not writing it off just yet. The local club is trying to figure out how to train people because there is a chicken and egg situation.
To get my advanced RPAS licence I have to take a flight test, but if I can’t fly anywhere how do I get enough stick time to pass the test?
My nieces husband faced the same problem when he moved here from ON. He was a flight instructor there and he wanted to get float certified here. Problem was he couldn’t get anyone to help get certified because he didn’t have any float hours.