• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Getting back into RC flying (maybe)

Bandit

Super User
Hey, he sent an e-mail, not a letter by post!
Was the field closed because of Covid or for the winter season?
It seems nearly anything said, written etc. can be taken politically by someone, I was told a few times, some of what I said, in hand with my views of some/many/all things was not politically correct. I stated quite clearly I didn't care and I did not want in anyway to be associated with any politician or political party as I was capable of thinking for my self, and so far free speech and thought was (mostly??) not against this country's laws. They shut up after that.
A rant, maybe.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey, he sent an e-mail, not a letter by post!
Was the field closed because of Covid or for the winter season?
It seems nearly anything said, written etc. can be taken politically by someone, I was told a few times, some of what I said, in hand with my views of some/many/all things was not politically correct. I stated quite clearly I didn't care and I did not want in anyway to be associated with any politician or political party as I was capable of thinking for my self, and so far free speech and thought was (mostly??) not against this country's laws. They shut up after that.
A rant, maybe.
It was closed because of the change in regs. All MAAC sanctioned clubs located within controlled airspace had to suspend operations as of December 2022 when Transport Canada withdrew the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CAR) Part IX Exemption in place since 2019.
They have since changed the regs and my local field has been re-approved.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
David flies R/C......!

Hmmm.......
I want to try again. I flew back in 2012'ish but stopped because it was impossible to find a place to fly and the local club had a 50-person waiting list.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I flew back in 2012'ish but stopped because it was impossible to find a place to fly and the local club had a 50-person waiting list.

I have a farm.......

And you can land a real plane on my driveway cuz it's a half mile long......

Also a 1 acre pond.......

But my fav is choppers. Was gunna join a club to get someone to help me fly, but ended up teaching myself. No 3D though.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a farm.......

And you can land a real plane on my driveway cuz it's a half mile long......

Also a 1 acre pond.......

But my fav is choppers. Was gunna join a club to get someone to help me fly, but ended up teaching myself. No 3D though.
I'd love to have that kind of space but it's not in the cards.
I spent 20 mins flying an RC sim in a store and I was hooked. I used to fly RC sim a lot and it was a real help.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Is there no crown land around you David? I believe you require a drone license to fly anywhere now, maac fields included, might as well just hit the crown land

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Yes, but your very limited to stay under 250, most fixed wing RC ends up over 250 very quickly

Yea that's problematic, how about over the water, launch off the beach, or float plane, or are you in the interior ?
I'm on the island so population density is a thing.
I'm going to see what happens to my application to the local club.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I'm on the island so population density is a thing.
I'm going to see what happens to my application to the local club.

Well at least you get that nice weather!

I would fly off the beach, your flying fixed wing ?

I dipped my toes into heli's like @Susquatch, many years ago, buy lots of spares if you want to do that! Lol

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ha yea it's gets pricey learning !

What are you starting with ? Foamie high wing ?
I had a Cub that I converted to have ailerons and a Multiplex FunCub which I never flew as I was not good brave enough to fly.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Ahh that mutiplex looks pretty easy, you could always program your radio with reduced throws in the beginning, the new radios are something else for that kind of stuff.

And hey, foam is easy, I sheared the a wing in half on a Corsair I had, gorilla glue and packing tape, it was flying within 15 minutes!

That being said, I do like building balsa, but that hobby is kind of dying with foamies

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Ahh that mutiplex looks pretty easy, you could always program your radio with reduced throws in the beginning, the new radios are something else for that kind of stuff.

And hey, foam is easy, I sheared the a wing in half on a Corsair I had, gorilla glue and packing tape, it was flying within 15 minutes!

That being said, I do like building balsa, but that hobby is kind of dying with foamies
The thing I really struggled with was orientation. I'm sure that's the same for everyone.