Generic Plasma Shields - Success Finally :)

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I have THE worse luck when it comes to generic consumables. I know others rave about their savings, but it seems I am cursed when it comes to MIG tips, tungstens, drill bits, sanding discs, etc. But I finally found a non-OEM plasma shield (P/N 220674) I like better for my Hypertherm PowerMax 45 (sadly, recently announced no longer made). It's the manual drag tip with the built in 1/8" standoff commonly used.

The OEM part is $26.95/unit from Praxair; no package deals available. On Amazon, a five pack is $29.99. I weighted them: OEM is 5/8 oz, whereas the generic ones from Amazon are 1/2 oz. So some difference, but not much. However, after 35 feet in 3/8" plate, I am pretty happy. No noticeable difference and the blow back dross falls off the generic tips when tapped...just like the OEM ones. (In first pic: OEM on left; Amazon on right after 35 feet).

That's a pretty big savings, and I am unusually impressed. The other generic ones I've tried in the past were even lighter weight and seemed to cheap out on the copper content...it didn't take long before dross clogged the tip and was tough to get off. But finally I had success with a generic consumable.

Attachments

• tip2.jpg
    tip2.jpg
    572.2 KB · Views: 0
  • tip1.jpg
    tip1.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have the powermax 1100 again out of production I belive, I've never had to change the tip yet which shows how much I have used it! I also have the machine style cutting head on a 25' cable collecting dust maybe one day I'll build a cnc table for it!

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I think they make great machines and we will both probably own ours for years to come. I originally wanted the 65 or maybe it was the 85. But it drew over 70 Amps on arc start and my panel was already maxed out. So I settled for the 45 and it has never let me down. After owning it for 10+ years, I finally cycled it enough to make the fan kick in the other day.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I bought mine I think around 2000 at that time we were thinking Cnc but it never happened however now I have ballscrews and rails as well as the electric components to throw one together but now it is a space thing so I’ll have to come up with a way to combat that.

frankcal

Price jumped up a touch from @ $31.69 so maybe a few folks bought that and then they hiked the price.. Not a big deal but I have software that tracks pricing and they historically sold for $28.99.

FWIW - I love how Amazon uses algorithms to adjust pricing. If you are patient, you can use this to your favor ;)

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Yeah, you're right Frank. There are some funky Amazon algorithms operating out there.

Why is it whenever an algorithm is involved, the consumer is always the loser? Insurance, banking, gas pricing, air travel, concert tickets, hotel rooms. etc.

When I run this this planet I'm creating my own algorithm that only benefits the little guy.