• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Gearhead projects …….

Gearhead88

Super User
Very well done.
The welder ( not me )deserves a great deal of credit , this could have gone sideways during that part , ending up as a mangled pile of dogshit , instead , I was presented with a correctly welded part that could then be shaped and reworked into what you see .

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
Sometimes I buy tools , sometimes I make em .

It depends on how much a store bought tool sells for or availability or how quickly I need it .

Lots of times I've reverse engineered an existing tool when I can get my hands on one to examine.

Sometimes I look at a problem as a challenge to make a tool that enables a job to be completed more accurately , quickly or it's nice , when required that a job can be repeatable.

Sometimes it's an attachment to expand the capabilities of an existing tool .

I have a stack of drawings n' sketches of tools I have not made yet but will .......... at some time .

Areas where I am weak or I need to improve , possibly learn some new skills / techniques are .......... Metalurgy , heat treat , surface finish / protection .

Yesterday I made another piece for a store bought valve spring compressor , to use on the latest heads I work on - 4 valve M8 's

IMG_2558.JPG

These are internal collet style bearing pullers , two I bought , three I made .

IMG_1343.JPG

These are for doing valve seat and guide work , piloted drivers , supports to position cylinder heads for guide installation , valve seat drivers .......

IMG_1198.JPG

The support stands can be used for positioning a cylinder head like this ....... a ported Jeep 4.0 litre head that I put oversized Mopar performance valves into and used Chevy LS beehive springs from Comp Cams .

100_6051.JPG

100_6052.JPG

100_6053.JPG

Last edited: