• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gearhead projects …….

Gearhead88

Super User
My Craftex B048 knee mill has been a good addition to the workshop , for a small/ medium sized machine . At any given time , I’ve got a variety of things going on and a to - do list a mile long so upgrades only come along when I get a break in the action or I get bored . With spring fast approaching the to - do list is much bigger , yard work & outside projects are coming up real quick , so today I’m doing a small upgrade to my mill that I shoulda done long ago . All of the handles on the hand wheels are cheap plastic , I’ve never liked them so today , pretty much , the 18th anniversary of buying this machine I made all new handles for it . More upgrades coming , not just this machine , lots of my junk needs work . I broke a handle on my Sioux valve grinder , rearranging the shop last week ., making a new one got me motivated to make a few more. Also , unlike most honey do lists, with shop to do lists , I don’t get nagged or reminded monthly , I’ll get to it .…….

C552073B-5268-4EF7-A785-5A86DDC25393.jpeg A34ECE80-F514-4490-AE43-78F6D75DE176.jpeg 8148AD4D-4F46-40AF-B8FB-45C8626301AE.jpeg FA5D22D9-11D9-44CF-9F0F-A7D7D57169D3.jpeg

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
I’m still working on a few details with my boring bar stand project . I made up a pair of “hands free” parallels . When you are preparing to bore a cylinder , there’s a bit of fumbling around to get the cylinder clamped into the table , centre everything up and get it clamped in snug n’ secure . These parallels are moveable yet stay in place so you can avoid dropping tools and less farting around while setting up.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
My recent projects had me slinging a paint brush a lot , when you are making a paint mess , you might as well paint a few other things that have been on the to do list / we’ll paint this later list .

This fab table had been here for 20+ years , I made some hangers to store my angle grinders on and I’m just now getting around to painting it . Isn’t retirement fun?

image.jpg

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
It was slow at work today , good excuse to ditch early . I did a bit more on my boring bar depth indicator project .

I need to make a sleeve to secure the indicator and a set screw to position it.

97C8DF45-EE26-486C-9AC1-0B4298C36675.jpeg 35146438-BA13-4500-B5D7-C29B28B7E115.jpeg

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
38F663E3-D6D8-4A31-9BF3-2563BDBA5E38.jpeg 9F52E425-9BE3-4D7D-A6B2-E29092116CA9.jpeg

image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg

Newest gadget idea is done .

The indicator holder is for doing precision counterbores & step cuts for "O' rings .
I need to fit a few new cutters into the budget , they aren’t cheap ! , each holder is $176 ! , there are different sizes for small and large bores , champhering , doing counter bores . I’ve only bought one so far , I’m stoked about the finish that is possible with these cutters . The original cutters are 1/4” round carbide ? , they need to be sharpened , honed and maintained to produce acceptable bore finish . The cutters I’m switching to have replaceable inserts that can be rotated to give you six cutting edges . The machine originally came with a diamond coated sharpening wheel and a fixture for putting the correct angles on the original inserts . I have all that but as technology evolves , better tools become available . The old 1/4” round inserts are $50 each !! & there’s a bunch of dicking around to use them , plus the abrasive coating on the original sharpening wheel is shot .

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
The sad part ......

The former owner of that engine bought the bike used , it had less than 1500 km on it . Unknown to him , it had been sabotaged , someone put something nasty in the oil tank. It took a several miles for the foreign substance to circulate through the engine and plug some vital oil passages . Up till that point he was pretty chuffed with his purchase and now running with the big dogs , then ...... It seized up part way through a ride over Highwood pass with his pals . I was brought in to deal with the problem , It messed up the engine bad enough that , at the time , to get it back on the road quickly , it made more sense to swap the engine out for a “take out” . A take out is often out of a new vehicle , usually they are taken out and replaced with a super sized , much larger crate engine . If you know enough guys , a take out engine isn't hard to find . Some Harley guys have deep pockets and toss money around like it grows on trees. The engine on my bench is the old engine , it arrived here in running condition , you see , only one of the two pistons seized , he coasted over to the shoulder of the highway , once it cooled he was able to start it , he actually turned around and road it home , harley engines are tufff !! . When it was “stuck” it had little value due to the nature of the damage and was left here . At the beginning of the winter I took it completely apart and replaced all of the damaged parts with new. It is a good engine once again .

The funny part ......

I should add , as mechanics , we laugh at carnage and the misfortune that results , I don't know a mechanic that doesn't find humor in seeing wrecked stuff , it's who we are .
In my day to day activities throughout my career I've seen and repaired an enormous amount of wrecked stuff , finding the humor in it is kind of a coping mechanism , to keep our sanity .
I do feel sorry for the guy for having to go through this . Once it was fixed he was happy again and good to go.

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
A friend dropped off a very expensive Ducati single sided swing arm yesterday , it’s off of a high end Ducati sport bike . The swing arm was damaged by over tightening the pinch bolts which clamp the eccentric hub in position , it’s how the drive chain is adjusted and locked down when the correct chain tension is set . It’s a cast alloy part , I’m told , to buy a new one is several thousand dollars and would take a very long time to arrive from Italy . I think the guy who broke this may have learned a valuable lesson about torque values and procedures ……… or not ?? , it’s not the first time it’s been broken . Prior to arriving here it went to a highly skilled welder for the first part of the repair . This guy is equipped with a more powerful welder than my little Syncrowave 180 and has skills that far exceed mine . My job was to restore the holes , threads, counterbores and make it look nice . It will get painted to finish the repair .

91E8DC9F-BBB7-4B4C-A308-24A26BC924D8.jpeg F9CC89EC-569E-4332-B86B-D5222BB7AC05.jpeg F0CB5FB4-B800-49B6-A604-B42F6933193C.jpeg AB36FA2D-321F-45F9-9D0A-49ED4C7FAE73.jpeg

Last edited:

Gearhead88

Super User
I had to build a cutting tool that would pilot off the threaded hole . I used a spark plug , to make a 12 x 1.25 mm threaded insert for a pilot .

Some sanding , grinding , buffing , filing , thread chasing . re-cutting of the counterbores and it can now be re-painted.

. 52624464-2D93-4788-88A0-D492F8D185FA.jpeg 8B825F8B-E4D1-49AB-B472-304A1D9A06E6.jpeg 5FA47000-77F3-4B34-9DF1-F145FFBE7D7B.jpeg 51B9CEB6-525F-4F64-B34E-0567B7C6D647.jpeg

Last edited: