• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gearbox Oil for Lathe?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
It's been years since I did a thorough cleaning on my lathe. Also years since I changed the gearbox oil.

Mine is a Craftex (Busy Bee) CT089, 13 x 24.

What are you guys using for oil?

JohnW

(John)
Non-detergent machine oil - aka hydraulic oil. Has all the appropriate anti-corrosion additives as near as I could tell when I researched it a year or two ago. It is exactly what is specified for most lathe type machines. There are a few specific specified oils, but ordinary (cheap) hydraulic oil seems to meet or exceed all the specs I found. Certainly good enough for a hobby machine that does not see 40-100 hours of hard use per week (more like a maximum of 2-3 hours of easy use).

Brent H

Ultra Member
I am using the 30W from Princess auto for compressors in my lathe. Seems to be match specs for the lathe and other shop tool sumps

5A0FA1C5-AA03-4BE7-8C77-B8D4A8CE5E58.png

Last edited: