• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Gear repair

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I’ve got a buddy with a broken gear from a boat drive train. This is 1.25” in diameter. Replacements are quite pricey. Anybody able to fix this with bronze or make a new one?

Attachments

• 971EC4A7-EA86-4CD0-8E7E-BD18E80604CD.jpeg
    971EC4A7-EA86-4CD0-8E7E-BD18E80604CD.jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 0

kylemp

That's an awfully complicated gear. I had alpek make one for my lathe, he could try there and see what they say.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I suspect the gear in mesh with that one is pooched too. Spiral/bevel or mabe even hypoid so it would be very hard to duplicate with enough accuracy without using dedicated gear making tooling. Your friend probably already knows that a boat is just a hole in the water you pour money into so he will probably have to bite the bullet and buy the pair.

ducdon

Super User
Premium Member
If it's available as a manufactured part it will be cheaper than having on repaired or custom made.

Brent H

Ultra Member
Hi John,

I would think that gear has hardened teeth given it is part of the main drive. I would always be wary that a repair failure might destroy more of the drive.

Make sure your friend also checks the meshing gear for damage and the shaft for any twist/bend.

Anytine you put “marine” or “boat” in front of anything the price seems to magically double .....